Sign in to follow this  
fbsammy

MD-11 CDAP or FPA question

I am unable to find in the manuals, or just don't understand it how to fly a CDAP. (Continuous Decent Approach Profile)I guess it is named FPA (Flight Path Angle) in the manual (PT.30.1)In the 747 or 767 you can capture ILS only on autopilot and fly the CDAP with the v/s selector. When I try this on the MD-11 I always end up with either an autoland, or with a FPA but without auto-ILS guidence.Can someone explain the proper way to fly this approach in the MDA?Grettings,Eric W

If you want to a CDAP approach on an ILS rumway it is called a LLZ approach or localizer approach. In the 747 this could be achieved using an ILS approach with the radio tuned to that frequency but with ILS inhibit activated. The same can be done in the MD11 in a different way. When the runway is entered in the FLight Plan Page the ILS frequency will automatically tune or you can manually enter the frequency. When this happens on the NAVRAD page, you have the option of LOC ONLY. If this is pushed it will change to bold and you have your localizer approach without the G/S active. On your PFD at the top LOC armed will be displayed.Hope this helpsAndrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

miscellanious panal G/S inhibitAndrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

>I am unable to find in the manuals, or just don't understand>it how to fly a CDAP. (Continuous Decent Approach Profile)Just so there is no misunderstanding what CDAP is and what it is not.It is NOT a method to bring you to the runway threshold. CDAP only brings you to the beginning of a typical approach (say ILS) and this is where CDAP ends and your final approach begins - which can be ILS or some other type of approach. In other words CDAP ends about 6-10 miles from the airport.I think you are mixing terms here and trying to fly some sort of hybrid approach that simply doesn't exist in real life.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

You obviously have not watched the 747 training video. All the bloke wants to do is a final approach using V/S rather than using the glideslope. That is what has been explained. This is not a hybrid approach and may in real life be required when the ILS is faulty or not operational. In these circumstances this IS the way to fly the aircraft to the threshold. On the 747 this is assisted by the green banana while the MD11 has not got this assistance. Might help a bit more if you did a bit more reading rather than trying to be technical.Andrew

Andrew Dixon

>All the bloke wants to do is a final approach using V/S rather>than using the glideslope. Ok, fine but this has nothing to do with CDAP. This CDAP confused me what exactly he had in mind. (Actually it is called CDA, not CDAP - pardon for being such a stickler for detail!!)>more if you did a bit more reading rather than trying to be technicalIn aviation it pays to use correct, unambiguous terminology, so yes, a bit more reading for folks who throw around terminology without understanding what it means would be called for. *:-*Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Andrew, Thanks for the answer I was looking for! It worked as you explained.I am not sure what this discussion is leading to, I saw the 747 DVD from A0A and, read the Mike Ray's 767 guide. Both state / show the use of CDAP, or CDA..>>Michael said:...folks who throw around terminology without understanding what it means would be called for:) An autoland as I understand it, can only be done when circumstances require it and the runway supports it. If not, CDA or CDAP is the way to fly any other Final Approach. Correct me if am wrong. Thing is, I like to fly that way, even if it's not real, its fun to do and that's enough for me. Thanks again Andrew,greetings Eric W

Michael J.It seems to me that you are confusing reality and make beleive here. I just want to hammer the point home that Microsoft Flight Simulator is a GAME. Like it or not, that's the banner that MS have filed it under, and if you look in the PC Store, it's likely that they will have it in their Games Section.I like to fly as procedurally correct as i can, it cant always be done as sometimes i just dont have the knowledge or available reading materials to confirm that what i am doing is right. In those situations, i will come into a forum like this and post my question. In return i generally expect that somebody will answer that A) knows what they are talking about and :( can respond in a polite and respectful manner. While you seem to fulfil criteria A, it seems that you have a way to go in filling criteria B. The majority of your responses on the forums here come across as being downright rude and arrogant, and where possible i try and avoid reading threads in which your screen name is mentioned. This is a shame, as a lot of what you have to say is both useful and informative, and i am sure a lot of people just keep a hold of the page down key when they see your name in the thread. The FS Community at large is, IMHO, one of the friendlier, more helpful online worlds, and it is responses such as yours that put people off of coming into forums and getting the answers that would make them better VIRTUAL pilots. In Aviation yes, it pays to use the correct terminology, but you forget that this is NOT aviation.QUOTE: >I think you are mixing terms here and trying to fly some sort of hybrid approach that simply doesn't exist in real life<4 Engine Flameouts in Boeing 747's are not exactly a real life occurrence either (with one or two historical exceptions) and yet R/w Pilots go into the SIMULATOR and practice them. If someone wants to do something in the Sim, regardless of whether or not it's a real world procedure, then who's to stop them? I respect your knowledge, i value your input, but try and be polite about it.Sorry to the OP for the Hi-Jack, but it needed to be said.CheersPaulEDIT: Clarity

Guest dodougla

>miscellanious panal G/S inhibit>>AndrewI don't think that actually inhibits the ILS, it only inhibits the GPWS warning for G/S deviation. To prevent G/S caputure, you should press the LOC button on the MCP and make sure it is lit instead of APR.Don

Eric,Adrew correctly explained how to execute a LOC only approach in the MD.Michael correctly pointed out that a CDA is not a runway down to minimums approach rather a type of STAR which tries to be as economic as possible down to your FAF.The correct way to fly a LOC approach in the 747 is simply to hit the LOC button instead of the APP button.Regards,Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

>The correct way to fly a LOC approach in the 747 is simply to>hit the LOC button instead of the APP button.Hi Xander,Thanks for the reply, I guess I just understand it all wrong. I will post in the AoA Forum (pmdg 747 training dvd) about this, because they do show you how it is done, and its done from the FAF (final approach fix) to the DA (descision altitude)Eric W