Sign in to follow this  
Fergus

Help needed please

I would be grateful for help please with 2 problems:How do I load the MD11 up to max zero fuel weight ?I tried using the PMDG MD11 load manager but even fully loaded (according to the load manager),neitherthe passenger or cargo MD11s reached anywhere near close to max zero fuel weight.SecondlyIf the MD11 takes off with Flaps 25, at acceleration height shouldn't the profile modecommand that the aircraft accelerate to the maximumspeed allowed for that flap setting until flap 25 hasbeen retracted and then command 250 - 270 knots or themax speed allowed for the remaining flaps / slats, whichever is lower.That is how it happens in that Martinair MD11 video.I am seeing the PMDG MD11 profile mode command an acceleration straight to at least 250 ias at acceleration height, regardless of the takeoff flaps selected.Thank you in advance for any assistance.Fergus

Fergus, For the max ZFW issue see this post:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=159853&page=1During take-off with any flaps setting:FMS speed will be V2+10 up to the accelaration altitude.Passing the acceleration altitude FMS speed will rise to the maximum of the speed limit (10,000/250) and Vcl (V-climb as displayed on the TAKE OFF page).In all cases the FMS speed will never be higher than Vmax-10 Kts. Vmax is indicated at the amber foot on top of PFD speed tape and takes into account Vmo/Mmo and the aircraft configuration (slats, flaps and gear). So if you don't retract flaps (when the PFD speed tape FR bug turns green) the FMS speed will never be higher than the maximum speed for the current flap setting.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Hi MichaelThank you for your help.First of all, I wish to express my admiration for whathas been achieved with the PMDG MD11 - it is excellentand so true to the real aircraft.Thank you for the link - I see that you have already addressed the max zero fuel weight issue.With regards to the fms commanded speeds at accel height issue:We appear to agree on what SHOULD happen but unfortunatelythat is not what I am seeing happen when I use the PMDG MD11I don't know if you have seen the ITVV Martinair MD11 DVDOn it they carry out a flap 25 takeoff from AmsterdamSchiphol - on the initial climb out v2 plus 10 iscommanded by the fms (as shown by the solid pink ball onthe speed tape)at acceleration height, the pink ball moves to 215 ias as this is Vmo -10 for flaps 25 at the relevant weight etconce the flaps have been retracted, the pink ball on the speedtape moves to 250 ias (the Vmo for the slats is higher than 250,so that is not a limiting factor).As I mentioned in my first post, when I takeoff in the PMDG MD11with flaps 25, the FMS commands V2+10 on initial climb out,as it should BUT .....at acceleration height, the FMS commands 250 ias (ie the pink ball moves straight from v2+10 to 250 ias even though the aircraft still has got the flaps at 25 !!If everyone else is seeing the FMS command 215 ias with flaps 25then i must be doing something wrong somewhereThanks again for your assistance.Fergus

Guest rellehenk

Maximum FMS speed is Flap placard speed -5 knots. So in this case with flaps 25, FMS speed should be 215 at the acceleration altitude.

Fergus, So you mean that with flaps 25, on the PFD speed tape you see no amber line going down to 215? And the magenta solid bug goes to 250? I'll check that, but it shouldn't happen.

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

>So you mean that with flaps 25, on the PFD speed tape you see>no amber line going down to 215? >And the magenta solid bug goes to 250? >I'll check that, but it shouldn't happen. >Michael, Fergus, FYITo confirm this, just did two test runs:Condition 1: near MaxTOW, Flaps 20, Prof armed. No flap retraction above FR:Observed: At accel. altitude solid magenta bug commanding speed 285, in upper amberband that showed a VmoF20 of 240.A/c continued acceleration into this amberband, until VmoF20 PLUS 5, where Hi Speed Protection mode intervened correctly, by disarming PROF mode and bring the "new" target speed back to VmoF20 MINUS 5.Condition 2: near MaxTOW, Flaps 20, Prof armed. Flap retraction above FR; but now NO Slat retraction above SR:Observed similar: Prof commanding Speed 285 in amberband above VmoSE.Acceleration into amberband to Vcl 285. HI Speed Protection correcting as designed; Prof disengaged, Target speed back to VmoSE 280 MINUS 5.So also in my set-up, the first "protection", ie PROF itself, did not work correctly.Regards,Harry

Guest Totalbeginner

>Fergus, >>So you mean that with flaps 25, on the PFD speed tape you see>no amber line going down to 215? >And the magenta solid bug goes to 250? >I'll check that, but it shouldn't happen. >> I still see the amber line, but the magenta bug goes into the amber line.Regards,Martin

Hi Michaelwith flaps 25on the PFD speed tape I see the amber line going downto 215 - 220 ias, but the magenta solid bug goes to 250Fergus

You are right, this happens and it is a bug. Will be fixed in the next update. And I must promise myself to never again make any changes before release, however simple they look, if there is not at least a week of beta testing ahead!

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

Hi MichaelThanks for looking into this.Im having so much fun with this aircraft - I especially like thesmooth profile "VNAV" descents - usually an achilles heel of flightsim aircraft.I am so impressed at the extent to which the sophisticated systems of the real MD11 have been replicated - truly an awesome achievement. Fergus