Sign in to follow this  
Sharrow

FSX Aircraft Virtual Cabin framerate comparisons

>> you're setting it up so the HD head doesn't have to jump all over >> the disk to load sequentially named files, which happens a lot in a >> game that streams textures and scenery like FS.I understand, but once the initial load period is over (i.e., initially starting the sim), then what HD activity? It's very gradual and slow. I never hear the HDs run after I've loaded FS, and I can't tell you when FS is loading scenery during a flight.Reads will not fragment a HD, either, so unless FS is reading a file, deleting it, then writing it back every time, zero fragmentation should occur, as there is zero reason to keep re-writing read-only files back to disk. If Windows is doing this, there is something seriously wrong with your set-up!Best regards,Robin.

>I have, however, heard on various forums that some folks are>having issues using the FSX in-flight menu with series 7xxx>and 8xxx cards. Apparently this is an issue with FSX SP2? This>is why I generally tend not to recommend the 8xxx series.Yep, I can confirm. I had that problem with in-flight menu and my 7800GT. But then, that problem was suddenly solved. Now I cannot recall what was the reason for resolving that issue (I got rid off FSX for some time). Most likely it was the new set of Nvidia drivers. Now everything is fine, except the performance at big airports with a lot of AI traffic. When I switch the AI traffic off completely the performance is quite good with complex payware planes (~15-25fps).Thank you for your advice (now I'm even more confused ;) but I'm heading towards 9800GTX+ or GTX260).Gregor

Well, if you decided on nVidia and can afford it then go with the GTX260. It may not make that much of a difference in FSX from a 9800GTX+ but it will make a bigger one beyond FSX and overall you will be more happy with it.This is my recommendation for the next few weeks - after that who knows!Konrad

Konrad