Sign in to follow this  
Dicko

ILS centerline approach

When perfoming a full autoland should the MD11 land exactly on the centerline of the runway. I have recently done two landings at different airports, one with the aircraft landing about 2 metres to the right of the centerline and the other slightly to the left. Is this normal?Andrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Considering that runway width's are normally 45m, your landing seems pretty much on the centerline. The winds would make a difference too.

To be precise, the aircraft will land on the localizer, which is usually on the centerline of the runway. However, the MSFS accuracy is not always "as real as it gets." If the localizer is off by a small amount the error will be noticable at the other end (the landing zone). I believe the only lateral navigation available is the localizer (and dme) for autoland, whereas vertical navigation uses both glideslop and radar altimeter.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest PPSFA

Sounds like its just adjusting for any crosswind with that small an amount of offset. Next time go to external view for a second and see if the nose is crabbed into the wind.Some ILS's have an 'offset' localizer, but that doesnt sound like what you described.JayXPPro SP2FSX SP2AMD64 FX-60 Dual Core 2.61 GHz8800GTS-640 megs2 Gigs Kingston RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com

For example, a 0.1 deg error in the localizer (which is common in MSFS all versions) is a 14 ft error 8,000 ft from the localizer antenna... this is not an offset localizer (such as JFK ILS 4R) but just microslop typical navdata.

Dan Downs KCRP

Andrew,Which airport and runway is this, I would love to try a CAT3 landing in my 737, see if there is any offset. Also do you remember what kind of weather you had?EDIT: I'm sorry I forgot, I'm running FS9, there may be a difference with FSX?:-hmmm However, I do recall touching down slightly left or right in presence of a crosswind (CAT3). Unless you landed on the grass or far to one side, I don't think there is anything anormal.

Where was the wind?Don't forget to monitor the aircraft, even if it's flying. ;)Best regards,Robin.

Guest nigvilla

>When perfoming a full autoland should the MD11 land exactly>on the centerline of the runway. I have recently done two>landings at different airports, one with the aircraft landing>about 2 metres to the right of the centerline and the other>slightly to the left. Is this normal?>>AndrewAndrew,I once performed a perfect landing at ZBAA (Beijing)about 10 metres left of the centreline!!One of the answers i received then was that FSX has some 'skewed' localiser positions at certain default airports.I got hold of a freeware AFCAD editor and re-set the centreline.