Sign in to follow this  
3-2-1-Now

Sioux City DC-10

Hi,I know this is an MD-11, but anyway.....I tried this scenario (all hydraulics out) and flew using just the engines only (I failed HYD 3 and got the HYD 3 ELEV OFF memo). I then manually failed systems 1 and 2, shutdown engine #2, and proceeded to fly via the power only.WOW!!!!! You've got to try this! Best with hardware throttles, but with selection of the engines being dead easy in the MD-11 (don't worry about the engine select bug!), it was fine with single throttle.I landed it, too.You've got to try this!Only thing I did find was that I could still steer in both directions.Best regards,Robin.

Guest XM DUDE

Captain Hains(most likely spelled wrong) would have made it too, except for a last minute cross wind that he could not compensate for.Michael Pare.

It's Al Haynes.As for the turning in both directions, the damage to the control surfaces and other aircraft surfaces is not able to be modeled in the sim, so there is a bit of a difference in that regard. Sure, the control surfaces were not active, but the damage created drag and other factors contributing to the odd handling characteristic.Kyle

Kyle Rodgers

Guest Shalomar

The aircraft had a tendency to roll to the left, due to damage at the tail.The instructor pilot was not happy with the descent rate... about 1,000 FPM. So he shoved both throttles to the firewall. With power being equal, the tendency to roll reasserted itself. Captain Haines can be heard pleading : "Reduce Power... Left left left..."We will never know what might have happened had the instuctor pilot complied. Their rate of decent would have been greater, but would they have cartwheeled? Or they might have touched down on their wheels then flipped on their back like one Fedex crew did on a rough landing.Best regards, Donald T.:-wave(__/).................................(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Guest PPSFA

Capt Haynes is one of my personal heros, if you want to read more about him and 262, heres a great link...http://clear-prop.org/aviation/haynes.htmlJayXPPro SP2FSX SP2AMD64 FX-60 Dual Core 2.61 GHz8800GTS-640 megs2 Gigs Kingston RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com