Sign in to follow this  
trystanv

747-400X freezing problems

I purchased the 747-400X fir fsx today, the plane is wonderfull and handles great, but for some reason about 60 mins into flight it makes FSX freeze up and it won't recover, I have the scenery settings set pretty low (no autogen, AI traffic and density set to normal) yet it still freezes and it only does it with this A/C, I'm pretty annoyed, seeing I don't have this problem with any of my other addon aircraft. I'm currently running Windows XP SP3 and have a Gforce 8800GT and 4G of ram.Any suggestion would be welcomeTrystan V.

This sounds like something running that is either hung or waiting for user input, does it won't recover mean you have to force a reboot because you can't close fsx or change focus? Lot's of things cause FSX to quit responding, are you running any other programs like ASX or XGraphics? I saw it often when I had a P4, but I assume you have a dual or quad, right?

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks you for the quick response, Yes I run ASX and Xgraphics, and unfortunatly, I'm not rich enough to buy a new processor, I have an AMD64 athlon , basically the game freezes up, but I can switch between programs no problem at all, I need to end to process for FSX to quit

Hello:There are some documented issues with ASX freezing FSX in the HiFiSim forum. Try doing the same trip under same circumstances without ASX running....I'm not saying it isn't the 744, it still could be, but lets try removing one of the variables first.CheersPaul

>Hello:>>There are some documented issues with ASX freezing FSX in the>HiFiSim forum. Try doing the same trip under same>circumstances without ASX running....>>>I'm not saying it isn't the 744, it still could be, but lets>try removing one of the variables first.>>Cheers>>PaulOk, well I was able to complete the flight with ASX off, however at some point I actually had to turn off all weather, because the plane started overbanking to the left, for no reason at all, so as soon as I cleared the weather the plane flew perfectly... any thoughts on that, because thats seems like a pretty obvious design flaw, and is there a patch in the working that could fix these issues?

Before I updated to a more powerful processor, I had problems with ASX/XGraphics combo in the 747X. The workaround was to launch FSX, load the 747 and get her in a configuration where I wanted to start my session (location, shut down, ready for input or on the runway running ready for whatever I was going to do), then start ASX. That seemed to work most of the time. The more powerful box helped.If you don't use ASX, the FSX weather machine will create very unrealistic wind/temp/pressure shifts that play havoc with the simulation. I recommend the use of a registered copy of FSUIPC4, and set the weather smoothing to something like 5deg/kts per 5 seconds to damp the horrible FSX weather.Please sign your name to posts in this forum.

Dan Downs KCRP

My 747-400X used to freeze up the whole PC, keyboard and mouse and the PC would also emit a continuous loud humming sound. It would only happen when flying the Queen, not with the default FSX aircraft.Forgive me please for cursing that the 747400X MUST BE the problem - it wasn't as after by chance I downloaded the latest video drivers (ForceWare 185.50) for my 8800GT and immediately started experiencing large square artifacts on the monitor when playing Battlefield 2 and eventually the PC froze.The proverbial light bulb switched on above my thick head. I re-installed the drivers that came with the card (Forceware 169.06) and both BF2 and FSX with 747-400X ran fine.The moral of this story is DON'T UPGRADE VIDEO CARD DRIVERS unless there is a recent application (i.e. a new game LOL) that NEEDS the latest drivers for it to run. All too often the latest drivers can have a detrimental affect on older games/apps.Apply the age old rule for motherboard BIOS, don't upgrade it if the PC is stable.As a side note regarding the excessive aircraft banking on autopilot when in strong winds, I found that I had to also enable "Suppress these wind effects