Sign in to follow this  
DF9AA

MD11 wind entries 2

I am still struggling with the wind entries for the crz part of flight - thanks to Allan, I got some useful information from RW MD11 pilots - but having still big problems.Entering accdg to planned FL will not work - I now found a way to enter the planned wind by using ONLY ONE FL - i.e. flt is planned 290/310/330/350/370 I use only FL350 and enter the the winds accdg to the waypoints despite the fact that the planned alt are different! But still, the entries are transferred into the F-PLN page 2.Same with the temps - but now I have another big problem : The temps on the F-PLN page 2 show POSITIVE temps - where the temp is entered as -54 it shows +37 and will reduce when a S/C is planned by 2 degress to +35 and so on...Now the big surprise: At T/D the temp shows -66 !! and TAIL030 as entered in the INIT page, but the temp was entered as -50/T030 !!EDIT: Just tried again, but could not change it . . .The FMS is now calculating the ETA at DEST with completely wrong speeds!Is it possible that the beta tester of the FMS could come up with some explanation and/or a detailed description of entering winds and temps into FMS - I once again checked the manual - no result...Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman FosterWill be closed Oct30,2008 - its a shame !http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Next shock :During the 11:00 flight you have plenty of time to look around and check the FMS...Next scheduled S/C from 330 to 350 was about 1 hour to go and on the F-PLN it showed S/C 11:15 and T/C 11:35 (!!!) 20 MINUTES (!!)Just minutes to the S/C it was corrected to 2 min and it took then just 4 mins.Next scheduled S/C is precalculated for 14:58 shortly before DUB from 350 to 370 and again T/C at 15:18 - also 20 minutes ...and still is at 14:27Z ( now )EDIT: Right now it shows S/C at 14:58 - passing DUB at 15:02 at FL 353 (!!) 300 ft in 3 mins (!!) and still T/C at 16:18! 2nd EDIT : Now at 14:40 its been corrected to 14:58 and 15:01 !!Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman FosterWill be closed Oct30,2008 - its a shame !http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

It is really astonishing that apparently I am the only one interested in correct wind data and subsequently a correct calculation of the FMS...On todays flight I again entered wind data only for ONE FL and also temp entries were only on a single FL - and it worked OK, except the AS winds were not as they were predicted... but this is another construction site...Obviously I am doing something wrong, but to be able to avoid mistakes, one should know how to do it - in the manuals I could not find the answers...and it seems that beta tester are not available - or are there no beta tester for the FMS...?Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman FosterWill be closed Oct30,2008 - its a shame !http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg