Sign in to follow this  
Dicko

Freezing flight diplays

On a flight from Melbourne to Perth I noticed at one stage the flight gauges were frozen. I was still able to double click on the actual gauges and when they were enlarged they were OK. Return to the original view and they were frozen again. Another observation was that I can normally cycle through 3 different views using a button on my joystick( 4 when near a tower), but the display would only cycle between the virtual cockpit and and locked spot view. When changing the view from the locked spot back to the virtual cockpit is causing the display gauges to freeze. I worked out that if I use the mouse and not the joystick button to change views, the displays all return to normal and display the flight information correctly. What would possibly cause this to start happening and how can I fix it.Andrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Guest Bud

Exactly the same thing happened to me on a short flight in Europe. I've repeated this flight with the same conditions a number of times but cannot replicate the problem. I was beginning to think that this was a one-off glitch. At the time I was changing around some keyboard settings and that maybe a faulty key stroke had caused a freeze up.Bud

Guest Susan27

The same here...(!)Sometimes its also not possible to change views via the "S" key (at least for the German keyboard). What helps: Right-click choose another view and then press "S" again...after this its working again...no idea why... :)

The MD11 flight displays and views all returned to normal near the end of the flight. I would suggest that if has happened to not only me, it indicates a small software issue with the aircraft. Hopefully PMDG will find the issue and include a possible fix in the service pack. Great plane though!Andrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

The same thing happens in the 747X, the problem is FSX quits updating gauges when the "focus" changes, and there is not much that the pmdg dll's can do about it. My workaround has always been to simply hit the A key and then Shift+A. Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Bud

Hello Dan"Focus" change - sounds a bit odd - I've never come across this before in FSX with any other plane.Thanks for the tip - do you have A and Sh/A mapped to anything special?Bud

I've never come across this with any other planes in fsx. Just the MD11. I've found that simply switching between Virtual cockpit and 2D cockpit fixes it...Of course it causes the problem of when I go do something and come back to see the status of my flight, it appears to be nowhere near the destination when in reality it's just passing the OM at 37,000 feet, LOL

Noah Bryant

Default A key... changes view of existing camera, for example from VC main panel to VC look right towards FO panel.By focus change, I'm referring to a windows term where a window reverts to background because a new window opened, for example. Opening a map window does this. Opening a top down view in a second window doesn't because it is a child process of the main view from where you opened it.You see it in the 747X by opening the MSFS map, the VC guages quit updating when you close the map and sometimes the A/T trips off and the FMC announces an incorrect maximum altitude.Now, it could be that this isn't what is happening to you at all... hard for me to tell from this side of the keyboard.

Dan Downs KCRP

The problem happens on it's own to. I've noticed that I would get up to cruise level, then leave the computer for awhile to got some things done. Then when I come back to the computer one or both of the displays have frozen. If I click on the display to get it to pop up in it's own window, the pop up window is displaying correctly. When I close the pop up window, the display in the VC is still frozen. But switching the view to 2D and back to Virtual Cockpit fixes the problem.But basically they are getting frozen even if I am not changing views or changing the focus of windows.

Noah Bryant

Guest Bud

DanThank you. I use very few of the default commands which is why I asked the question.Thanks also for clarifying the 'focus' situation. So far as I'm concerned, this is probably not the cause. This has only happened once to me and there was no change in focus in this case.Bud

For this many people to have exactly the same issue points towards a small software glitch. As stated previously I'm sure the guys from PMDG will check it out and hopefully provide a fix.Andrew

Andrew Dixon