Sign in to follow this  
Guest Susan27

FMC: Flight-Plan Discontinuity at STAR?

Guest Susan27

Hi,after reading the Tutorial and how to enter a flightplan manually I would like to do a short flight LTBS to LTAC. Everything just works fine beside one "small" F-Plan Discontinuity...I dont know why there is this F-Plan Discontinuity between "HAY" and "ANKNB" & FMS dont accept the routing... Routing: Coming from the west on Airway R32 (KFK VOR) I specified "HAY" as the exit fix. The correct STAR from this point is "HAY1E" for RWY 03R at LTAC begins at HAY NDB (350khz), continues to ANK NDB (356)and from here on the final approach towards RWY 03R.Here is the "HAY1E"-STAR-chart & the corresponding MCDU screen:wyg9gjqh.jpgwtxo38n2.jpgax66ocby.jpgDo you have an idea what I entered wrong here & what to do to fix that discontinuity...?Thanks very much! :)

Just an educated guess, you will have to look in the procedure file and the Star 03R approach to confirm. It looks like ANK is the FAF for 03R approach. So the FMS put in a disco. If its not that, then the waypoints are named different and don't match.

I think the same.. fix ANK is missing. Try manually entering it as the next fix from HAY, then clear the disco.I was at Ankara a long time ago in a different universe.Edit: Could also be due to this being a vectors arrival, and a vector is required before ANK towards the 03 arrival course??

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Susan27

Thanks for your help, but that doesnt erase the disco-message (or I understand you wrong). Perhapes that might help for the situation: I "inserted" the chosen STAR HAY1E&RWY03R as can be seen on the first pic below, then chose TRANS "ANK" (if I press on "None" I am getting an error msg ("Not allowed") as can be seen on pic no2...and then still get the disco msg on pic no3...:n8ycinnt.jpg7pzhwdpg.jpgwcmqecjj.jpgAny idea what could be the problem...? :) :)

Guest Susan27

>...>Edit: Could also be due to this being a vectors arrival, and a>vector is required before ANK towards the 03 arrival course??>FRom which information on the charts do you see that this is vector-arrival? And what is a vector arr? The course from the FAF (ANK-NDB) leads direct to the final approach...(?)2qf9mhh5.jpg

Try selecting the ANK transition on the ILS03 approach? Update: Just tried it.. I have no problem deleting the disco error by pressing CLR then pressing the LSB next to the error message. My FMC reads KFK R32 HILIL R32 HAY HAYNB ANKNB..etc. Note that HAY and HAYNB are the same. I think this is part of the problem, the navigraph data is calling the three letter NDB navaids a five letter symbol by adding NB, so you get one fix with two names. That is why the FMC gives the disco error.I don't know why you can't clear it. I also cleared one of the redundant fixes (deleted HAYNB which is same as HAY) and had to delete two dicos but it finally came together. No need to select approach transition as I first mentioned above.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Susan27

Hi Dan,well I tried the "ANK" transition the whole time... :) :) I think there perhapes is a faulty-data fpr that very STAR. I rejected that STAR and changed-over to "TELVO" STAR...that just worked fine...Thanks again for your help! Well, after some time...if I see how much knowledge is needed to fly that bird...how much then is needed to program the whole add-on...Respect PMDG! :)

Guest Susan27

Hi Dan,thanks so much for your effort to solve my "problem", I appreciate that very much! :)Well, what shall I say: You are absolutely right! I just pressed CLR, then clicked at the LSK besides of the Diso-msg and it simply went away...To be honest I never had expected that, thats why I am asking that:1) Is there something like a "rule" that if a dico msg will appear I only have to delete/clear it as you showed me today with the Ankara approach...?If so why is that diso msg shown if it can been so easily "fixed away" by simply deleting it...?What is the sense/meaning behind that msg then...the FMS could fix it also automatically at once, or?2)All diso msg for the active/actual flight plan are away now with your kind help. There was only one "small" diso meg left: I panned down to the missed approach section of the "Flight-route-page" and I saw a dico msg between the "normal" and the "ALTN flight plan". I did the same as you mentioned above and the disco msg also went away...:So my question is: Is there always a disco msg between the "normal" flight-route and the *"ALTN flight plan"*...? And if so, why?Here is what I precisely mean:ocdh88wk.jpgThanks! :)

1) Most disco errors can simply be deleted. One case is where there are two fixes in sequence with the same location, such as ANKNB and ANK. Sometimes the disco cannot be deleted, most commonly where there is an abrupt route change at the disconnect, and these are usually an input error.2) To be honest, I haven't played with the ALTN F-PLN yet. Got too many other snakes to kill first. My guess is this is a normal disco.I occasionally see disco errors in poorly written terminal procedures, such as when I am debugging my own, or when the mag deviation has changed such that a heading to intercept a radial may have worked when Microslop last updated their navdata in the MSFS products (FS9 and FSX are very similar in this regard), but no longer works because that heading doesn't intercept the radial. I fix a couple of these every dozen locations or so.I think it is a good idea that the FMC display the message rather than try to resolve it on its own. It should be left to the pilot to decide how they want the issue resolved instead of letting some programmers encode assumptions about what the user wants. It could be a real safety issue.. let the pilot decide. Afterall, if there is a problem that is the person that has to sort it out and make things work.

Dan Downs KCRP