Sign in to follow this  
Guest Susan27

MD11: Cruise Speed-Limitation while Enroute phase?

Guest Susan27

Just completed first sucessfull flight under full FMS control...with manual ILS landing at the end...thanks to all who helped by answering that many questions...There is one thing I noticed during enroute phase of the flight concerning enroute speed I wonder about: During the whole flight it seemed that there was kind of "speed limitation": Although Mach 0.81 was calculated & displayed at the MCDU the PFD only showed Mach 0.61 at the speed-tape during whole enroute FL/phase. At first I thought it would be because of the entered Cost Index (I entered 80) but also after changing that to 100 nothing changed. ..Then I recognized something on the EAD saying "CRZ limitation". I dont know if thats the reason for that kind of speed/thrust limitation...(?) I added the pic below...Could someon please tell me how to "fix" that limitation so that increased climb power and enroute flight speed (Mach 0.81 or so) will become possible to be flown by the FMS again...? ohxiwyfn.jpgThanks very much! :)

Suzan,The CRZ LIM on the EAD refers to the thrust limit and has nothing to do with any speed limitation.What happened in your case is that you got yourself into a low Speed Protection situation. When this happens the FMS SPD mode is disengaged (that's why on the PFD the speed mode "THRUST" is white) and the speed target is set to ~5 Kts above the minimum speed (white bowtie bug at PFD tape.just above the yellow foot). The FMS speed is still 0.806 (open magenta bug above the PFD speed tape) but it is not active since FMS SPD mode is not engaged any more.To re-engage FMS SPD mode press the FMS SPD button on the FCP and all will return to normal again (magenta "THRUST", solid magenta bug at 0.806).

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest Susan27

Thanks very much, guys...with your help the problem was fixed!:)KR