Sign in to follow this  
Guest captnmel66

Ended up with 2 smokin before touchdown!!!

Guest captnmel66

I was flying into Vegas (KLAS) today after about 2.2 hours in flight from the KSTL area. When for some reason I decided to take one look at the outside of the aircraft when I was fully configured on final (ILS 25L) and noticed number 1 engine was trailing smoke! I went back to the cockpit view and checked all my displays for an engine fire or anything abnormal with old number 1. Everything was indicating normal so I went ahead and shut it down since I know at 385,000lbs the 11 will fly on 2. After landing I again went to the outside view and noticed now number 2 had joined number 1 in smoking. I shut number 2 down and fired fire bottles on both engines 1 and 2. Number 2 quit smoking but number one continued, so I went to PMDG

Hi,It's a bug in FSX (nothing to do with the MD-11). It is triggered when you load the SAME ENGINED aircraft TWICE, in the sim.e.g. MD-11 GE Varient (MD Colors) followed by MD-11 GE Varient (KLM Colors) without restarting the sim.Apparently though, the panel stops working properly, so I don't know how you managed to fly it.Best regards,Robin.

Guest captnmel66

is this to say I'm spending too much time flying the PMDG MD 11??? so to fix this I need to load another aircraft for a minute or so then go back to the PMDG MD11 before starting engines and getting airborn?I will say this add on blows me away with the realism! I wish I had a faster computer/graphics card to hand this one! I am big on FS 9 and cannot wait for that version to come out.thanks

Guest captnmel66

I forgot to add, I use the 2d panels, not much into the VC thing! I forgot to ask, why does the FMS auto tune bot VOR's to the same station? every other airplane I have with the auto tune feature does two different stations! I'm a real world pilot as well and all of the FMS's I've flown tune two different stations unless we tune them ourselves in manual mode!

Guest rellehenk

This is normal behaviour for the MD11. The VOR's that are displayed on the EIS map dispay (ND) are tuned by the FMC's. FMC1 tunes VOR1 and FMC2 tunes VOR2. You can see the tuned navaids on the FMC NAV RAD page and the ND. The Navaids for display on the ND are automatically tuned according to a programmed priority.1. manually tuned VOR2. Navaid on flightplan leg3. Upcoming flightplan navaid4. preceding flightplan navaidetc...So both FMC's tune a VOR independently. Because they use the same logic, most of the time, the same VOR's are being tuned.Navaids are also tuned in the background for position calculation. Normally the FMC position is calculated using GPS and IRS, but if GPS is not available (quite rare) the FMC uses IRS/Radio Nav for position calculation.Radio position is computed using the following priority:1. DME/DME2. DME/Bearing3. LocalizerFor position calculation, two independent DME's are used.Navaids displayed on the ND (FMS NAV RAD page) are mostly the same unless manually tuned.

Guest captnmel66

Why is this the only plane that auto tunes a navaid that is being used in the flight plan? The pmdg747-400 auto tunes two separate naviads and ones that aren

>Just find it odd that the md11 does this.We probably know too little about internal workings of this FMC to form a truly informed opinion. If GPS is INOP or to minimize positional error I would expect any FMC unit to tune navaids that offer such minimal error - since DME/DME method apparently offers best accuracy I would expect that one station should be about 90 deg to the flightplan but this is just based on my "feel" for optimal geometry. I expect the information in the manual is very superficial and doesn't reflect the true elaborate nature of these algorithms. And then I doubt how much of this "complication" found way into this simulated unit.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest captnmel66

Guess another reason I find it interesting is that the PMDG 747-400 in fs9 auto tunes two separate freq's in the left and right VOR's on the same FMC. When I pull up both the left and the right FMC's in the PMDG MD11 I see the same freq in 4 places!