Sign in to follow this  
kevinh

EGPWS (TAWS) Simulation

Hi,Can I ask whether PMDG have any plans to simulate EGPWS, rather than GPWS, in future addons, thus providing a terrain display? If so will it be made available retrospectively as an update to the MD-11 and 747-400 for example?EGPWS, or equivalent, is pretty much standard equipment these days, being mandatory on turbine driven passenger aircraft in the USA since 2002.Two other developers have included EGPWS modelling so far. PMDG appear to be lagging behind a bit in this area.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

What would be more interesting is if they could find some way to simulate a TRUE Look Ahead Warning System (LAWS), you know the one that triggers the GPWS if theres a hill infront of you instead of when your coming over it

That is exactly what EGPWS does. It knows it's flying into a cliff face because of the terrain database. There are extra terrain warnings, over and above the familiar GPWS set.The terrain display is only part of EGPWS, but it's the most interesting part IMO.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Kevin,To do this properly and simulate it realistically is a project of its own. I have not tested what other developers have provided, but I know what it takes to properly implement this feature on PMDG aircarft. I am not making these kind of decisions myself, but I believe that an add-on that would add a terrain database and the enhanced GPWS warnings to the MD-11 and possibly to other PMDG aircraft, is something that we might consider. BTW, even with no terrain database, Mode 2 of the GPWS ("Terrain Closure rate") will give you an early warning when you are flying into a hill. How early is this, depends on how steep the hill is.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

>Kevin,>>To do this properly and simulate it realistically is a project>of its own. I have not tested what other developers have>provided, but I know what it takes to properly implement this>feature on PMDG aircarft. >>I am not making these kind of decisions myself, but I believe>that an add-on that would add a terrain database and the>enhanced GPWS warnings to the MD-11 and possibly to other PMDG>aircraft, is something that we might consider. >>BTW, even with no terrain database, Mode 2 of the GPWS> ("Terrain Closure rate") will give you an early warning when>you are flying into a hill. How early is this, depends on how>steep the hill is. >I use both other developers EGPWS terrain display simulations. They may not be perfect but they appear to be reasonably realistic simulations. Certainly better than not having such a simulation at all, the current situation with PMDG.An EGPWS addon would be a good solution.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg