Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shaun48113

MD-11 Wind Entries

Guest Shaun48113

So the MD-11 seems to want headwind and tailwind components in several places. Is there a way to just enter wind speed/direction and have the FMC calculate this compenent? If so, how? If not, how is everyone calculating/fetching all these wind components?Thanks,Shaun

Go to the Flightplan page, look for a Waypoint in between T/C and T/D click on the right LSK at this waypoint, click Next Page button and : Surprise ? There is the wind entry page...Doesn

If you have a program like activesky or FSBuild, it will tell you the average wind at your cruise altitude. Put that figure in the INIT page.

>Go to the Flightplan page, look for a Waypoint in between T/C>and T/D click on the right LSK at this waypoint, click Next>Page button and : Surprise ? There is the wind entry>page...>>Doesn

Guest Susan27

>Go to the Flightplan page, look for a Waypoint in between T/C>and T/D click on the right LSK at this waypoint, click Next>Page button and : Surprise ? There is the wind entry>page...Why is this wind-entry limited to Waypoints between T/C and T/D only...and not for the other phases of a flight...?KRSusan

It is not.From the PERF CLB and PERF DES pages you can access similar wind and temperature forecast entries that apply to all waypoints of the Climb/ Descent phases.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest Susan27

Michael, I ve a flight plan here in my FMS:For example one WP here is DAL, it is before T/C - so in the climb phase of the flight plan -. Its located at LSK 3:When clicking now at LSK 3R I "only" get a page with the "speeds at/below" but no entries for wind like the second page which will be displayed when choosing a WP after T/C and before T/D...When following your advice I "only" can enter wind entries for a whole segment (climb/descend) but not for a single WP, correct?So how do I enter actual winds for *single WPs* in the climb/decend phase...?

Susan,You can't enter actual winds for *single WPs* in the climb/decend phase, and there is no need to do so. The climb and descent phases are quite short and wind forecasts (for the same altitude) are not exprected to have significant differences between waypoints. For the cruise phase, it is a different story. The cruise phase might extend for some thousands of miles, while clb/des usually takes less that 100 nm.

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

Guest Shaun48113

>Susan,>>You can't enter actual winds for *single WPs* in the>climb/decend phase, and there is no need to do so. >>The climb and descent phases are quite short and wind>forecasts (for the same altitude) are not exprected to have>significant differences between waypoints. >>For the cruise phase, it is a different story. The cruise>phase might extend for some thousands of miles, while clb/des>usually takes less that 100 nm.>> Just a follow-up to this. When I enter winds for one cruise waypoint, they propagate forwards and backwards throughout all VERT REV pages for all cruise waypoints. Then, if I change them on another waypoint's vert rev page, the change again propagates forwards and backwards, overwriting even the original waypoint I entered winds for. Any idea how to fix or what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.-Shaun

>>Just a follow-up to this. When I enter winds for one cruise>waypoint, they propagate forwards and backwards throughout all>VERT REV pages for all cruise waypoints. Then, if I change>them on another waypoint's vert rev page, the change again>propagates forwards and backwards, overwriting even the>original waypoint I entered winds for. Any idea how to fix or>what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.>>Shaun,It shouldn't do that. Are you pressing the INSERT* promp each time you enter data in a forecasts page?

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

Guest Shaun48113

Hi Michael,Yes, I press the insert prompt. Sounds like it might be a bug, but since I've never had success with the enroute wind entries (this is only my second flight, and first using weather.. I've got it saved halfway across the Atlantic) I'm not sure how to go about reproducing. Any specific steps you could recommend for a repro?>>>>>Just a follow-up to this. When I enter winds for one cruise>>waypoint, they propagate forwards and backwards throughout>all>>VERT REV pages for all cruise waypoints. Then, if I change>>them on another waypoint's vert rev page, the change again>>propagates forwards and backwards, overwriting even the>>original waypoint I entered winds for. Any idea how to fix>or>>what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.>>>>>>Shaun,>It shouldn't do that. Are you pressing the INSERT* promp each>time you enter data in a forecasts page? >> >

Hi Michael,Yes, I press the insert prompt. Sounds like it might be a bug [...]
Has this bug confirmed yet? I'm experiencing the same problem and can't find a solution :( Pieter