Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

Automatic step climb?

Hi there PMDGI suppose there's never going to some sort of "automatic step climb" feature in the MD-11 is there, or future long-haul aircraft?Of course, I know the real aircraft can't do it, but if there were some menu option that you could tick to have the aircraft climb itself at the step size you gave it sort of thing, such as when you go to bed, it would save dear old pilots such as myself having to get up from a snooze every few hours to do so!Perhaps I am the only one who has though of this?Anyway, just curious.Rudy

Hi Rudy,Strictly talking PMDG MD-11 simulation, its possible.@ Anyone: DO NOT consider it RealWorld operation!!How to:INIT page: enter all FL's you want to climb to.(eg. 330/350/370/390)During cruise at your first level AND in PROF mode, select last SC FL390 in ALT window (without Pull- or Push-ing the knob).That's how your suggestion can be SIMULATED.Who's making sure that PROF mode remains engaged?To be honest, used it myself couple of times on long haul stretches, with default (no auto-update) FS weather.Hope it is of help to take a nap.Regards,Harry

Thanks Harry! I'll use that in a long overnight flight. I haven't actually started flying the MD-11 yet, will do when the FS9 version comes along.And the MD-11 shouldn't need any tank-eng configuration like the 744 when all tanks equal with any luck :)CheersRudy

>I'll use that in a long overnight flight. I>haven't actually started flying the MD-11 yet, will do when>the FS9 version comes along.Advice to take as much sleep as possible now. Hope it doesn't take too long before the FS9 version is ready.>And the MD-11 shouldn't need any tank-eng configuration like>the 744 when all tanks equal with any luck :)Indeed, when correctly programmed, she is doing the job for you.Might need some time to get used to a different pilot/aircraft interface.Think with this simulation it is very awarding.Regards,Harry

>>Who's making sure that PROF mode remains engaged?>I've used this method and have come back to find PROF disengaged.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>Strictly talking PMDG MD-11 simulation, its possible.>@ Anyone: DO NOT consider it RealWorld operation!!Might happen in the real aircraft as well, for whatever reason.So, as stated above, its a simulation confenience, apart from realworld operation.Regards,Harry

Automatic step climbing can be achieved the way Harry described. There is no "cheating" there, this is modeled exactly as in the real aircraft. Of course, in real operations you should first get clearence from ATC, but still you can have the FCP at the highest CRZ LVL and ask for clearence a few minutes before you reach the S/C point. And obviously you must be awake :-)However, as you mentioned, PROF mode can be disengaged during cruise. Most of the times this is a result of the known FSX weather issues. The abrupt way FSX changes the weather and especially wind velocity might trigger a speed protection mode, in which case PROF mode disengages. If you are flying with no weather PROF will stay engaged all the way, ortherwise there is always the risk of a speed protection disengagement. Nothing can be done about it, this is an FSX problem.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Hallo Michael,Let me clearify:>Strictly talking PMDG MD-11 simulation, its possible.Here I don't mean its an option on top of what the real aircraft can do.The more I use the MD-11 simulation, the more I find: Is programmed as real.>@ Anyone: DO NOT consider it RealWorld operation!!So the "cheating" is in this part, where it is normal operation to have the FCP altitude always set at your cleared cruise level.Only after ATC clearance it should be set at the next cleared (SC) level.Thanks for the wonderfull precision programmed into this aircraft.Regards,Harry

>with no weather PROF will stay engaged all the way, ortherwise>there is always the risk of a speed protection disengagement.>Nothing can be done about it, this is an FSX problem. >>Registered FSUIPC goes a long, long way to getting rid of this problem! I've been doing a lot of testing of wind shift PROF disengagement with the MD-11--registered FSUIPC seems to really help.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Do you know if this is the same case in FS9? I have ActiveSky 2004.5 and an unregistered FSUIPC - do you think a registered version would aid with windshifts in FS9?