Sign in to follow this  

Ever had this happen?

I filed a IFR flight plan from CYHX (Halifax) to CYUL (Montreal). Did everything as per usual, took off with no prob. ATC instructed me to fly 060. So I did. But! and this is a big BUT!. I was never given a new vector. I was handed off from centre to centre but I continued to fly 060. If I changed course on my own, ATC was yelling at me to return to 060. Too make a long story short, I flew 060 until I ran out of fuel and augered in somewhere of the coast of Greenland. Anyone ever experience this?

Guest RonB49

Based on my experience, I suspect that you did not fly near enough to your first waypoint to trigger the ATC to say "Resume own navigation" or whatever. It usually happens to me if the first waypoint (say a VOR) is very near the airport and a turn is required to get there. For example, a departure from KRNO 16R with Mustang VOR (117.9) as the first waypoint. Departure Control says "Turn heading 025" but 025* puts you too far east of the VOR and you'll fly 025* forever.I've found that if I turn to heading 010, when ATC says 025, that as I near the VOR, they say "Resume own . . ." and the flight procedes normally. Just make sure that you get really close to that first waypoint. Try it. R-

Hi,Something similar happened to me twice at KRNO, where there is also a VOR near the airport. My solution was to delete that VOR as a waypoint. The problem hasn't happened since.Take care,

Indeed, it happened to me on a KSEA-KSLC flight. My problem appeared, though, after I'd deleted BTG as a waypoint. ATC continued to vector me south. I ended up having to cancel IFR, and flew the flight VFR with flight following. It hasn't happened since then, so I thought it might just be a single anomaly. Guess not. But, these things happen. Life goes on. :):-beerchug