Sign in to follow this  
Guest Astradan

First Impressions Feedback (hype-free)

Guest Pro-Sim

Hey,I thought some people may appreciate some hype-free first impressions feedback:-1. An equisite simulation. We have not yet seen the volume of quality complex add-ons for FSX, that we enjoyed for FS9, but this definately fits that mold.2. Kudos to PMDG for including aspects that improve frame rates. They are better than expected and much improved upon the 744X.3. Systems and functionality is stunning. Typically PMDG level.4. I personally do not think the VC textures are as cutting edge as some elements of the add-on. Some blurry, hard to read areas, and the pillars look a little low-res. This maybe why the frame rates are good, and if so PMDG are entitled to scream "we can't win!!" at this point. :)5. I LOVE the inclusion of the 'FS Actions' in the MCDU ! ... anything that keeps us 'in the sim' is fab.6. Not keen on the pop-up convention ...... I much prefer having important things like the ped and the MCDU linked to SHIFT+2,3,4, etc as on previous add-ons. In the MD-11 these keys bring up some sub-panels like the FCU, but mainly pop-up DUs. As there seems to be no clear FSX camera view for the Ped, and no pop-up, I find some parts of the Ped hard to access.7. I find that the move to more 'standard FS' assigns for key commands (things like HDG bug inc, dec, etc), isn't great because we have effectively lost the 'fast' settings that we have in the PMDG 737 and 747. In other words I have been unable to map my hardware controller's rotary knobs in FSUIPC to both (as an example) "Heading Decrease" and "Heading Decrease Fast". Being able to do this meant more realism when using hardware. Because the MD-11 only now allows the basic FS assigns for "Heading Decrease" it means there is no possibility to use the hardware knobs quickly and get a realistic result. Not the end of the world, but feels like a backward step.8. Flight Dynamics are STUNNING... well done!9. Sounds is very, very, SWEET !10. Night Lighting fab.Very good overall but in my opinion, could be made superb with a few improvements.Cheers,Roy

Roy, Thanks for the time you took to post your feedback on the MD-11.Regarding (6) you can use the keyboard commands from the Addons->PMDG menu to assign custom keyboard shortcuts to open any pop-up window both in the VC and the 2D view. This includes the pedestal you mentioned (fwd/aft), radios, etc.Regarding (7): the 'standard FS' key assignments is an additional functionality used in the MD-11. There is still the possibility (like in the 737 and 747) to assign custom key commands from the Addons->PMDG menu which includes all basic FCP operations, and more.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest Pro-Sim

Hi Michael.Regarding (6) - wow, that's great, I didn't realize that - my bad! ... really pleased I will be able to assign the pop-ups I want.Regarding (7) - I know that the custom keys are still available via the PMDG menu, but there no longer appear to be any 'fast' assignments ... so assignments like "Speed Bug Decrease fast" or "Heading Bug Increase Fast". These were available on the PMDG 737 and 747 and were great for users of hardware like GoFlight, in combination with FSUIPC.I also must take back my comments about the VC textures - I had not selected the "high resolution VC" setting in FSX settings! (again my bad, I am getting too old!).The VC is in fact, STUNNING !This product sets the bar - congratulations folks.:)Roy

Guest Susan27

As the other already said...the MD11 is perfect to 99%...very good job indeed PMDG...! :)I have one thing concerning the sound:1) I am missing "badly" (lol!) the typical cockpit-sound of the spoilers going up after the main gear touched down (front wheel still in the air) on the RWY to destroy possible lift...I cant describe this sound better but its this typical sound when the "spoiler-wheel" is spinning fast...It would be cool to hear it in the the MD11, too... :)2) Another thing concerning the sound: The sound when touching down with the center (main) gear is - well lets say - very special (lol!:I mean the PMDG wav-sound-files named...PMDGMD11_TCHDN_C.wav and PMDGMD11_TCHDN_L.wav:To me it sounds as if I got crashed though flared fine and touched down with minimum f/s...I had to look from outside the first time cause I thought my main wheel crashed...(hahah!) :)So is that really the sound heard in the MD11 cockpit when touching down normally (not hard)?But to conclude: Besides of this...really well done - once again -, PMDG! :)

Hi Susan:>1) I am missing "badly" (lol!) the typical cockpit-sound of>the spoilers going up after the main gear touched down (front>wheel still in the air) on the RWY to destroy possible>lift...I cant describe this sound better but its this typical>sound when the "spoiler-wheel" is spinning fast...I hear the spoiler lever go down. Its more of a clicking/whirring sound than the 747.>2) Another thing concerning the sound: The sound when touching>down with the center (main) gear is - well lets say - very>special (lol!:>>I mean the PMDG wav-sound-files named...PMDGMD11_TCHDN_C.wav>and PMDGMD11_TCHDN_L.wav:>>To me it sounds as if I got crashed though flared fine and>touched down with minimum f/s...I had to look from outside the>first time cause I thought my main wheel crashed...(hahah!)>:)>So is that really the sound heard in the MD11 cockpit when>touching down normally (not hard)?The sounds modelled are, i can be 99.9% certain are EXACTLY as would be heard in the flightdeck in a real MD11. Armen and his team have paid real attention to the specifics of the soundset, and like you, i am extremely impressed,CheersPaul