Sign in to follow this  
CrashEd

Quick backup question

Hi all,I currently have my FSX install on a separate drive (e: for example), with my OS on the normal c:I'd like to be able to retain my FSX setup (around 100GB!) if I ever reinstall my OS. Takes forever to reinstall as you can imagine.Is it possible to somehow copy the registry entry so that in the event of a c: failure or an OS reinstall I can still use the FSX installation on my e: drive by copying it back? Is it that simple or do I need some software to do it?

Ed Haslam

Hi EdI am no expert but to me it seems like this is a recipe for problems. I cannot see how you could reliably locate the thousands of registry entries associated with FSX and back them up. Not to mention all the add-ons you are most probably running, all of which have their own registry entries.Even if you did manage to back up ALL the relevant entries AND actually re-introduce them succesfully into your registry post re-install, how would you ever troubleshoot any problems with any sense of certainty? There would always be the issue in the back of your mind that you could easily have missed just 1 reg key out of thousands and that is what is causing your problems? You will just end up re-installing FSX at the end of the day as this is the only way to be 100% sure...Konrad

Konrad

Not to mention .dll files for some addons get thrown all over the place on your system, and there are certainly going to be problems with products that use a system specific license key to run.

Like the others say; A potential world of pain and hurt awaits you ;)The only way i could, even possibly, remotely, ever so slightly see it work would be via the windows backup status and configuration utility (vista - i think there is something similar for XP), This would require that the layout of any new system is EXACTLY as it was on the old system for it to stand even a remote chance however. CheersPaul

A solution that I have used, but not foolproof, is O&O Image. This is a good tool that keeps a backup image of a harddrive that allows a reinstall of everything back to the original state.The one time it didn't work for me is when there were suspected problems on the motherboard that caused corruption of data to/from STATA devices. But, the only reasonable solution here was to build a new computer in which case the image file no longer worked because the new machine has a bigger faster hard drive. Except for this, O&O Image worked at restoring a good machine state when the problem was one of those dreadful bugs that corrupts the registry.My backup strategy now is to keep all my downloads and user data files copied to a third harddrive, acknowleding that a system failure will require reinstallation of everything. But at least I will have everything to reinstall. There's no perfect solution that I am aware of.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for your replys chaps.I didn't think it would be possible, but thought it was worth asking. Like you say, it's painful but worth reinstalling to be 100% sure.I'll check out O&O Image too.Thanks.

Ed Haslam