Sign in to follow this  
Guest zhutailin

is there any fuel calculator can be used for MD11

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

I looked at page 10.24.... and it tells you how to enter a qty for fuel but it does not tell YOU how much you will need to load for a flight. Ideas?

V4-Grape (if thats your real name ;) )A good place to get an idea of how much fuel to load would be by looking at how much fuel the FMS thinks you need. F-PLN INIT Page 2, One of the Left LSK's (i think)CheersPaul

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

Paul,They called me that when I was on the Deck, Ofcourse they called us all "Grapes" because the purple shirts/jerseys we wore. OK I will look again, there is alot to learn.BTW, on the boeing style FMS you can step through the FLT Plan and see it on the MAP/PLAN screen as you step through it on the FMS, is there a way to do this on the MD-11?Gary

Hello PaulHave checked out the Danur web site for the FOC application as you suggest but I am unsure whether or not is is compatible with the combination of Vista64/FSX/Active Sky X/Radar Contact and of course PMDG MD-11/B747.Do you happen to know the answer, particularly with regards Vista64/FSX.Many thanks in advance.RegardsStuart

Okay then guys:Grape ;) : You can set the ND to PLAN with a button (of the same name)on the Glareshield and then just scroll through the ACT F-PLN on the MCDU.Stuart: MD11 and 744 are both covered, the WX is better using Real world weather downloaded every 15Mins within FSX (graphics not quite as stunning as those generated by ASX, but winds aloft match up, and that's the point - for me at least - ;) )Radar Contact, I dont have as i only fly online, sorry cant help there.Vista64. Again, i dont know. There is a Forum Link from the Danur site's main page. But to the uninitiated, the forum can be a bit of a maze (much like the software itself hehehe)The software is being redesigned for V2.0 and initial rumors are that that's about 12 Months away at the earliest. Whether or not us existing users get a free or discounted upgrade, i couldnt tell you.CheersPaul

Hello PaulMany thanks for pointing me towards the forum.Unfortunately it has put me off for now.I will revisit when they have v2 available.Regards Stuart

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

I did find out how to scroll through the plight plan but still dont know how to figure out how much fuel to load.

Paul,I'm afraid you've terribly underestimated FSB. It can be configured to read AS wx data, and will indeed use it in performance calculations. It's actually perfect for the MD11, because it gives an average wind in headwind/tailwind format."FSB and FSC DO NOT alert you to one-way airways, and they will not necessarily take into Account JAR and FAR Ops."I rarely generate flightplans within FSB. Most of the time, RW plans can be obtained online. Copy and paste it, and all your airway direction concerns are over.Not sure what you mean by taking JAR OPS into account, but assuming you mean fuel policies, you can customize FSB to calculate fuel to suite any regulatory authority's fuel requirements."Likewise, the fuel and weather performance can, at best, be considered 'approximate'. and they will certainly not take into account a number of route options to take advantage of the most favourable winds aloft."The performance is not "approximate", it is spot on for the 744 and the 767. If the data is available, it will also be spot on for the MD11 (within a few hundred pounds of actual burn). I will concede that it doesn't take en-route wind into account (not that I'm aware of), but how many programs do so?I agree that the FMC is the best way for now, but I feel that proper PRE-flight planning is essential to the "as real as it gets" feeling.What are your thoughts?Paul (too)

Guest Bud

Let me demonstrate a considerable degree of ignorance in this area. I am having a bad time with fuel calculation as, apparently, are others. I have tried to use FSB but the figures I get are way off the mark. I assume that this is because the aircraft cfg in FSB is very different from PMDG. I wonder is there an updated cfg anywhere?When loading the plane, I use the load manager to set a random number of pax and taxi fuel only. Consequently, when I look at the fp init page, the only FOB is taxi fuel. This does not change after I enter f/p etc. How does the FMC calculate fuel - I've clearly missed something.The way I 'fill up' at the moment is to use as a basis a guesstimate, based on fuel used on other flights, which I enter into FOB. I then look at EFOB at end of flight and adjust the FOB amount accordingly. Probably I overfill for fear of my MD 11 turning into a glider some way from its destination.There is something laughable about this method of fuel calculation - can someone please put me on the road to a better method?Bud

Using FSB, here is how I am getting reasonable results. In the load manager, set your desired config and payload and note the combined total of pax & cargo. A fully loaded "mixed" config MD-11 comes out to about 118760 lbs of payload. Now back in FSB, before building a FP, change the aircraft type to the respective MD-11 GE or PW variant (Aircraft -> Aircraft). Change the aircraft "Emtpy WT" box to 273373 lbs for the Pax version or 250996 lbs for the cargo version. Change the Payload WT box to the number you noted from the load-manager, in my case 118760 lbs. Leave all other boxes as they are and go back to "routes" and build your plan.Once the plan had beeen built and exported, change to the "Navlog" tab at the bottom of FSB. Near the top of the report, note the fuel "REQD" amount as this will be your total (block) fuel load. Once you'v loaded-up the big-dog in FSX, load your fuel either through FMC or the PMDG-menu. FWIW, I'm finding the default MD-11 PW model in FSB to be a little more accurate whether I'm using the GE or PW variants. Also, both of these models are editable in the fb_aircraft.cfg file in the root of the FSB installation.Good luck...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE