Sign in to follow this  
FleaJump

PMDG 747 ADI and HSI Go Blank in Bad Weather

Hi all,I love nothing more than hand-flying ILS landings with the weather set for major thunderstorms, and so I have saved numerous such final approaches, using the aircraft from LevelD the PMDG fleet, such that I can hit reset during each rollout to get back to a point 2 to 3 minutes prior to touch-down, to do battle with the storm repeatedly.With the PMDG 747 ONLY, I have noticed that very often, but not always, the primary flight display screens go dead and blank at the start of the stormy weather final approaches that I had earlier saved with the PFD screens all functioning normally, preventing me from using those saved flights subsequently. Also on the few occasions when the PMDG 747 does start up in my saved stormy weather final approach flights with operational ADI and HSI displays, any resets that follow one of my very rare crash-landings will EXCLUDE the 2D cockpit from the view options that one can normally cycle through.Can anyone offer suggestions about how I can prevent this mysterious loss of primary flight displays that occurs mostly in the PMDG 747, and ONLY when the weather is set for stormy ?ThanksTony Selario

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

Bump.This post is rapidly getting buried in Siberia, what with the hoopla over the new MD11, so I'll appeal just this once more to anyone who might have experienced this problem of PFDs going blank at the start of saved flights with the weather set to thunderstorms. Any ideas ?

The hard part is understanding when you say mostly the 747. I cannot imagine how a saved weather situation would interact with a saved panel state. What happens when you retrieve a flight and panel state with clear weather in pause mode, then add the stormy weather?

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the reply Dan. I zeroed in on the weather as a possible causative factor for the PFD's going blank in the PMDG 747 because everything works normally with the weather left clear for my saved final approaches. PMDG does issue a caution about possible erratic flight behavior if third party weather is used with FS9, but I only ever use FS9 "stock" weather settings. I will now try your suggestion of saving the flight with clear weather and then adding the storm, to see if anything changes. Sure hope the bug gets cleared this way, because unlike in real life where my knuckles and face go white as a passenger in heavy turbulence, violent storms are great fun and really addictive to hand-fly in the FS9 virtual world, with auto-throttle off, and having to crab sideways using opposed rudder to stay on track. Tony

>and having to crab sideways using opposed>rudder to stay on track.When you crab (to stay on a track) you don't and you even should not use any opposite rudder. Only side slips require opposite rudder and these are used only during flare/touchdown with strong cross wind in big aircraft.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Looks like I may have confused the concept of using rudder input to make the aircraft "crab", to conpensate for crosswinds, with the technique of making it "slip", thinking both terms meant pretty much the same thing, Mike.Looks like I still need to try a few more landings with sudden powerful crosswinds to maybe get a better picture of the relationship between the flight yoke turns and my rudder action, which is becoming almost instinctive now after so many repeat approaches in turbulent weather. Tony

I went ahead and modified the weather setting to "stormy" after selecting a previously saved clear-weather 747 final approach, Bob, and the PFD panels worked fine for the first couple of times I hit the reset button to re-fly the approach, BUT on all subsequent resets of the same stormy short final approach, the ADI and EHSI went blank, AND the gear failed to lower regardless of whether I pressed the assigned "gear down" button on my CH yoke, or the "G" key on the keyboard.As I mentioned before, none of the PMDG737 aircraft exhibit this odd landing gear non-response and the black-out of PFD display screens after a saved flight reset, and in the 747, these anomalies ONLY occur when I have the weather set to heavy thunder-storms. If you can deduce anything that might be causing the PMDG 747 to act this way with stormy weather settings, I would be grateful to hear of any fixes that might be applicable. Thanks again.Tony

Bump I'm still anxious to hear if anyone else has experienced similar disabling of the ADI and HSI ( in the PMDG747 only), when the weather is set for stormy and the flights are saved and restarted with a reset for repeated approaches.I have done an archive thread search, but if I missed this subject I would be grateful for directions of where to look.

Don't mean to pester you Dan Downs, but I'm still no wiser regarding this mysterious loss the ADI and HSI screen displays whenever stormy weather flights are saved and retrieved using the PMDG 747.I sure would be grateful for any opinions about this from any PMDG staffers out there. RegardsTony

Just before I allow this thread to sink without trace into the sands of time, I'd like to try one last desperate lunge for an answer by invoking Daryl Shuttleworth's name to ask if he or any other of the PMDG magicians can shed some light on the mysterious signal loss to the ADI and HSI of the PMDG747, whenever final approaches with this aircraft are saved and later retrieved for repetitive landing practice.Now I have noticed that on my saved flights that commence mid-air, the ADI and HSI in the PMDG747 go blank even when the weather setting is clear. Previously those screens went blank ONLY with the weather set to stormy, but now the same problem is appearing regardless of the weather settings, but again ONLY with the PMDG747, as all the other aircraft continue to function perfectly in the context of saved and retrieved flights.I would't bother you guys on what may seem like a trivial issue, but at least for now I am absolutely fixated on the goal of performing the perfect landing, and while pursuing this ideal, I do really enjoy occasionally switching to the external view of the 747 as I settle onto that glide slide in stormy weather, just to marvel at the way those massive wings flex under the impact of severe turbulence. Sure I could view that realism in any full-length flight, but I would rather not exclude the 747 when I get to performing those multiple short finals from saved approaches.I promise to let this obsession go and shut up if it turns out there are no immediate fixes to this problem on the horizon for now.ThanksTony

Too late for an edit to make mention that in addition to the blank-out of ADI and HSI screens in the PMDG747 at the start of all my previously saved flight segments, I noticed that the LANDING GEAR simultaneously becomes non-responsive to the assigned gear-toggle switch on my CH flight yoke, AND to the keyboard "G" key which usually works if all else fails, thus ruling out landings even with the backup ADI and air-speed indicators that still work.I recall hearing somewhere about possible memory requirement conflicts between PMDG Boeing aircraft and the Level 767, all of which I have purchased and use frequently, so I got to wondering if this disabling of the PMDG747's ADI and HSI displays in saved flights might be a consequence of this problem, and if so, whether there is a quick fix that could make all well with my initially error-free saved flights using the 747.