Sign in to follow this  
ted_striker

pmdg 747-400 cant start apu after landing

How do you start the apu after landing when taxing to the gate?Ive read the manuals and tried with the overhead panel but no go.The only thing i can do is shut down the engines and wait for external power.But i lose everying until the power is established.This isnt very realistic.In the real world aircraft have the apu running before they get to the gate.Any advice appreciated.

Hi There:Firstly, it's a forum rule, so please post your name when you make a post, it helps us all feel like we are talking to a real person ;)Right then, the APU on the 747-400 is started by switching the APU knob to start (i think - with the MD11 out, its been a while) and letting it spring back to its on position.If you are doing that, it should start. Although bear in mind that it can take a while before it becomes available.In my little world, i generally start the APU as we turn off from the landing runway. Approaching the stand, i again refer to the Overhead Panel, and switch the power source to APU. Acheived with the APU GEN switches that should now be lit by the AVAIL lights.This then enables an almost instant engine shutdown upon application of the Parking Brake.If that isnt working for you. A screenshot of your Overhead, and EICAS with the ELEC page up would be useful.CheersPaul

Guest hangar744

Hi Derek,the APU controller monitors a large amount of discrete inputs, but it definitely doesn't check at which part of the airport you're trying to start the APU.Check your APU FIRE SWITCH. Most probably it is pulled.regards,delcom

thanks delcom.id tried pauls method but nogo. the APU FIRE SWITCH is one i havent looked at.ill look on the o/head panel and see if it is pulled. regards Derek.

Big one:Fuel in Wing Tank 2If you havn't closed your OVRD fuel pumps during flight when the Engine Tank>Feed comes up, you will empty tank 2 and 3 before starting on tank 1 and 4.APU runs off tank 2. If it's empty, the APU won't start.Regards, Trent.

• Upvote 2

On 11/11/2008 at 0:43 AM, hopskip said:

Big one:Fuel in Wing Tank 2If you havn't closed your OVRD fuel pumps during flight when the Engine Tank>Feed comes up, you will empty tank 2 and 3 before starting on tank 1 and 4.APU runs off tank 2. If it's empty, the APU won't start.Regards, Trent.

That makes sense! I had the same problem as  Ted of course completely forgetting that the APU runs off of the second tank! 

Thanks 

Conrad Collinson