Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Slightly OT: How do I assign an IRQ tp PCI card

Guest UweR

Hi all, I finally got my broadband connection, but the connection is rather unstable. A possible cause might be the IRQ of the DSL modem card (it

HiGo to control panelsystemdevice manager and find the card. Probably listed under modems. Then click on properties and click on resources. Under resource type, the first that is listed is the irq. Clik on change setting and you can change it here. Some cards will not let you change the irq. Also when you are asked to restart the computer. Shut it down completely, then restart.Hope this helps.Ed

If that doesn't help, try switching the card to another PCI slot.The assignment of IRQs during "Plug and Pray" is a bit of a Dark Art.

Guest UweR

Thanks guys, although it didn

Uwe,Just for a bit more depth.No matter how many PCI slots on your mo/bo there are only 4 IRQs available and modern OS's allege that they can all be shared but it is known that a lot of cards do *not* like sharing their IRQs.The PCI slot next to the AGP slot shares the same IRQ as the AGP graphics card, so that slot is normally left empty because the graphics card does not like sharing IRQs.The last slot normally shares its IRQ with the first ISA slot (if there is one).So you can see what fun can be had trying to get a 'fully loaded' PC to use unique IRQs :-)

One thing not offered as a suggestion:Many BIOS's allow you to assign an IRQ to a specific slot. I've done this with my modem and soundcard, with great results. You might want to take a peek at your BIOS--the answer may be there.-John