Sign in to follow this  
Guest Susan27

MD11: Useful Value for failure-propability during airline routine ops?

Guest Susan27

I would like fly with a realistic chance/possibility for aircraft-failures during routine (day to day) flights...Therefore: Does someone of you know a *realistic* value for entering at the PMDG->Failures Menu...? I know its pretty hard to determine...but what for values do you guys use while flying around (and not aiming/provoking for a special failure to occur on a flight)...so to speak a "normal" value for daily airline operations...?Thanks very much!

Hi Susan,very difficult to say - I have about 75 hours observer time on a RW MD11.There were only 2 very light problems - on a landing 4 green lights were supposed to appear but 1 ( noseg. ) was RED - after a few checks the problem was solved - don't ask me how...Next was a malfunction of windshield wiper on the CP side - the FO took over during a downpour of rain in Brazil.The main problem was poor ATC in some parts of the world, followed by shortage of res fuel and overall wx problems - nothing special...Karl-Heinz - EDDI/THF " Tempelhof "" The mother of all airports " - Sir Norman FosterNow CLOSED and history - its a shame !http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Yeah, I read somewhere recently that an average line pilot will not experience an engine shutdown in their career. I fly pistons and have had several, but the tubine state of the art is impressive.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Susan27

Thanks guys for your answers! :)So to conclude: The most realistic way to deal with day-to-day airliner failure prop. is to set the failure rate to zero (lol)...ok I will follow your hints...@Karl-HeinzConsidering last line of your Sig: Ich kann mich wg EDDI nur anschlie

>So to conclude: The most realistic way to deal with day-to-day>airliner failure prop. is to set the failure rate to zero>(lol)...ok I will follow your hints...No, set it to 1. Simply because if you set it to 0 then nothing is EVER going to happen, obviously this is not realistic. On the real aircraft there's always the chance of some malfunction happening even if it is VERY slim.Setting it to 1 will require you to really check the systems during the flows because you'll know that something MIGHT be wrong... as on the real aircraft.Markus

Markus Burkhard

There is a big difference, statistically, between 0 and 0.00001 failure rate. For example, all engines can fail simultaneously. Not likely but a lot more probable than never. I've always enjoyed this branch of math and believe lotteries are a tax on the math-challanged.

Dan Downs KCRP

If you want to simulate the annually (or whatever) pilot check in a full motion simulator set at least 20 failures per hour.;-)I wouldn't really care about real failure rates if you want failures to spice up simming experience.Alex