Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Difficulty entering my own Flight Plan into the MD-11 ...

Guest cliffie1931

I've almost mastered the MD-11 Tutorial flight from Heathrow to Zurich and am ready to dip deeper by programming the FMS with my own Flight Plan from Heathrow to Edinburgh.FSBuild offers the following waypoints:EGLL (Heathrow)D285GOLNEYTNTPOLRIBELSHAPPMARGOEGPL (Edinburgh)I've been trying to figure out how to enter this Plan by reading the FMS Manual but I'm stuck. Would some kind soul please point me to the relevant pages which, I assume, are to be found under the section entitled "Advanced flight Planning".Cliff

Not sure if D285G is a fix you can use, the one in the navdata is somewhere near 22N88E, which is far from EGLL. Otherwise, the procedure is straight forward. I suspect D285G is a fix in a SID, with that assumption here we go:Enter EGLL/EGPL in the Orig/Destination field on the F-PLN INIT page and while you are there enter a cruise altitude and cost factor. Open the F-PLN screen and select the 1LSB (EGLL) to open the LNAV screen and select SID. From the SID page first enter runway, then SID and then transition if any (order is important). Select *Insert to put this into your flight plan.Now return to the F-PLN screen and select the last fix in the SID route (the LSB next to it) which let's assume is TNT, which takes you to the LNAV screen again. At this point you can enter the next fix... depending on the SID... let's just say for example that it is POL. Insert POL then continue in this manner until you come to the beginning of the STAR... which we will assume (I don't know the UK procedures as well as the US) is POL. So from POL you select the STAR in the following sequence: Approach, STAR and then transition. Note we always go from the runway to the aircraft for sidstars.Voila, you should now have a flight plan entered into your FMS (assuming the STAR started at POL and included RIBEL SHAPP et al). Many times we can save fix-by-fix entry by using an airway entry instead of fix to fix, but that is another example.Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

That's given me something to chew on Dan. Thank you; I'll have a go at it tomorow.One query before heading off to bed. If, instead of entering each waypoint manually, I opt to enter the completed FsBuild2 Flight Plan would I be able to export the it into the MD-11?Cliff

>That's given me something to chew on Dan. Thank you; I'll>have a go at it tomorow.>>One query before heading off to bed. >>If, instead of entering each waypoint manually, I opt to enter>the completed FsBuild2 Flight Plan would I be able to export>the it into the MD-11?>>CliffYep great feature as I understand per the real deal just enter the departure and arrival airport and the FMC will search your FSX flight plan directory for the available corresponding flight plans...Love this beauty and the system detail just great work :-)http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

Guest cliffie1931

I've been trying to program complete Flight Plans rather than entering each waypoint individually but I've come to a road block and would appreciate your guidance Dan.Let me tell you what I've been doing. 1.I created a Flight Plan in FSBuild2 from KSFO to KLAX and hit the Export button to put it into FSX.2.I entered these airports into the MD-11 and a series of waypoints appeared after pressing the F PLN button. However they were different to that offered by FS Build2 and I therefore assume that the export was unsuccesful and that a previously used Flight Plan had been selected.3. I then created a Plan in FSX, saved it, entered the two airports and this time found waypoints with a Discontinuity.4.In the 747 I had no problem dealing with Discontinuity messages but in the MD-ll I'm stumped as I can't figure out how to get rid of the Discontinuity.I've attached the first five results that presented themselves after hitting the down arrow.Should I try to solve the FSBuild2 export problem and try to get a Plan without Discontinuity?Can you please set me on the right track to deal with the problem?If I don't respond fairly promptly that's because I'm in Spain where it may be deep in the night while you're under blue skies...........Regards..............Cliff

Guest cliffie1931

I think I've solved the problem so don't bother to reply. Instead of clicking on the waypoint after the discontinuity I typed (rather than clicking on it) and it inserted with no problem........Enjoy your day Dan!Regards........Cliff

Hmmm... I don't think I've tried that. You are teaching me.Night in Spain? I sure enjoyed my trips to Spain in the late-70's while I was stationed in Germany. Two weeks a year in a bungalo on the beach at Oro Pesa Del Mar (near Valencia), and several "offical" trips to Madrid and Saragoza. I was a new second-luey on my first trip (Madrid) and the NCOs took me to the "caves".... I have a real vague memory of dancing in the Plaza Major (excuse my Spanish spelling) at 3 am and several days of recovery. Thank goodness I got to go there on many more and less radical trips. A beautiful country. Loved it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

Valencia? About an hour North of here. I arrived on The Costa Blanca in the late eighties via London (where I learned a bit about gliding) from my home in Cape Town where part of my leisure time was spent in Tiger Moths and Chipmonks. Now to get to cut to the chase. I should presumably grasp the basics of entering the waypoints myself rather than taking the easy route of inputting a finished Flight Plan.To that end I started working through your example of Heathrow to Edinburgh only to be brought up short with a message reading "No Destination". Why? You'll see from the attachment that EGPL is included.....I'm sure there's an obvious answer. My plan is to succcessfully navigate this flight then to get to grips, perhaps with your guidance, with flying from Los Angeles to San Francisco by using the relevant charts from Navigraph Ndac3 to indicate the correct SID and STAR.Agree?Regards...............Cliff

I'm not expert (yet), but did you look back on the FPLN INIT page to verify you still are showing EGLL/EGPL? Sometimes an ICAO code for an airport can be also used as a waypoint rather than a destination. If that is not it, I'm lost. Post your flight plan and I will give it a try in a couple of hours when I'm able to get to my sim.As for KLAX-KSFO, now you are territory I know well (try my sidstars? They provide connections between runway and sid and star and approach for use without an ATC service... found in the avsim library). The popular route is:VTU5 RZS J501 BSR BSR2Entry is very straight forward... note that BSR2 arrival leads you right to the 28L/28R approaches. FYI, departing runways at KLAX are 24L/25R. http://flightaware.com is a good source for current flight plans, real traffic and all terminal charts.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

I'll work on EGLL/EGPL tomorrow.However tomorrow I'm also going to make KLAX-KSFO a priority in my learning curve. I'll follow your route and see how it goes. It seems a good flight on which to cut my teeth.I had a quick squiz at the FlightAware site. Two questions:1.What fuel price do you use?2.What aircraft do you select from their drop down list of options?I'm right ready for bed now after a long training walk with my wife. Next May is a Breast Cancer charity Marathon walk in London and we're trying to prepare for it. Yesterday was a two hour brisk walk and today an hour of power walking. Regards...............Cliff

I don't use it for creating a flight plan, I use it to see what others are filing here: http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/Get there from FLIGHT PLANNING on the left menu bar, then scroll down until you see "recently used IFR routes." For real world flight planning I use DUATS (FAA sponsored free for licensed pilots) and I fly a C414 Chancellor and fuel was over $7/gal at KHOU Houston Hobby a couple of weeks ago. Ouch!

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

Remember "Alice in Wonderland" Dan? Well, as she remarked, this gets "curiouser and curiouser".As you suggested I looked at the FL-PLN INIT page and EGPL (Edinburgh) was there.So I decided to try a KLAX to KFSO flight. As soon as entering those two airports the FMC picked up a presaved flight with it's own waypoints and I continued to program the FMC.So far so good. Settling down to a cruise I looked at the F-PLN page and attach it for you to see that KSFO is shown at the end of the route yet a message reads NO DESTINATION.Also attached is:The F PLN INIT page showing KLAX/KSFO on the top right.The PROGRESS pageAny other ideas as to where I might be going wrong?Oh, yes a minor query. Every time I take off the voice repeats "Stabiliser, Stabiliser" unto we've left the ground. How do we deal with that?Regards.............Cliff

Guest cliffie1931

I've worked it out!I hadn't programmed the runway and STAR of the Destination. "Duhhh"...............So I keep learning. Thanks for letting me lean on you during this period Dan.Cliff

<Do you have the green box for takeoff? That means the aircraft is ready for either landing or takeoff. My guess is the voice alert has something to do with trim... make sure it is in the green range before taking the active.As for the STAR... now the "no destination" msg makes sense. It is not unusual to not select the arrival until pre-letdown planning. A change in traffic direction may force a different STAR.Glad you are still learning new tricks. That must be what attracts me to this hobby.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931

Digging a bit deeper I found the following sentence in the "Flight Management System" Manual on page FMS.10.22. It reads "The TOCG determines the stabilizer trim for departure and aids the fuel system in maintaining proper CG for best economy"In my saved Panel State for the tutorial flight from Heathrow to Zurich the TOCG figure is 31.4.I also checked that the required flap setting is 22. (Stipulated in the tutorial.)Both attachments refer.Your question about the green box is apt.........I've never seen it being displayed.What setting should I be making?