Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul Bonhomme

Confirmed head movement in Virtual Cockpit, MD-11

thought of a fix....Well kind of. I have this problem somewhat too, and the big problem is that trying to switch the speed, altitude, heading (especially) when flying is VERY difficult because the click spot is so small.In the next patch, why not just ADD an additional click spot for heading, altitude, speed overtop the actual speed/heading/altitude window like so many FS planes have. This way it could be much biggerThey could still keep all the present click spots and just add these as an easy fix. you would still have to press/pull the knobs to execute the new heading/altitude, but I really think this would solve the problem which is simply just being able to change the heading/alt/speed in an expedient manner when you need/are instructed to.

Noah Bryant

Paul-I see that instead of apologizing for seeding the forum with erroneous reports of bugs as you had suggested you would do earlier- you've instead spun the problem as something PMDG "should have known."FWIW: Disabling head motion as I described in the manual was done as a tip to help users, because the default head motion of FSX when ENABLED makes the MD-11 very hard to fly because the buttons and knobs in this airplane are significantly smaller than on other airplanes we've modeled.Additionally- these knobs have significantly more motion options- thus complicated the mouse click area picture.None of this is relevant, however- since in the end the result is that you are unhappy with the results.I wish I could tell you that we would fix FSX to your liking, but that isn't likely to happen.Either way- the venom and bombast in these threads is a sterling example of how we get our faces slapped when we don't offer suggestions and help- and we get our wrists slapped when we do.I hope that some day in the future you will find the rest of the simulation worth your attention and praise. Until then, we'll keep working at it.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest Paul Bonhomme

FWIW, sorry. I'm not going to post anymore on here after this, my last message (insert collective sighs of relief on here).Also FWIW, myself and the other PMDG customers who kept posting about the issue on various ongoing threads weren't referring to the mouse click problem with Momentum Effects enabled as you described above. I actually think the complexity of the knobs in the MD-11 virtual cockpit are simply brilliant, and the fidelity of interaction with such in the virtual cockpit is breathtaking. I'm being neither sarcastic nor patronizing in my conveyance of the admiration I have for this programming achievement. There are no other flight simulation products on the market that even begin to compare.Rather, we were referring to the issue of 'sliding around in the virtual cockpit' with views being continually skewed so that the primary instruments move completely out of the field of view during turns, deceleration, pitch changes, etc. We mentioned how these skewed viewpoints due to uncontrollable momentum effects could only be reset by manually readjusting the viewpoint with the mouse or keyboard virtual cockpit movement buttons. I really don't know how we could have been more clear about this. We mentioned how disabling the Momentum Effects in every way imaginable did nothing to even come close to mitigating the effect of the continually skewing viewpoint issue. Nobody from the PMDG development team ever answered our questions or addressed our problem (and they still haven't, even up until now). There have been only two 'official' responses to all posters in the several different threads that have been ongoing for weeks now. You made the first response, Robert, in the original thread on this whole issue and mentioned that there was a misprint in the manual. However, you nor anyone on the development team addressed the original poster's question on the issue. Now, weeks later, with multiple successive posts on the issue and ever-mounting frustration from we customers experiencing the problem in question, coupled with complete silence from the PMDG development team, you finally made another reply. And yet, you still never addressed the original issue we posted about in the first place. Again, the original issue had nothing to do with difficulties in mouse clicking the knobs in the virtual cockpit with momentum effects enabled; rather, the issue we experienced was the skewing of the viewpoint in the virtual cockpit due to momentum effects that seemingly cannot be negated. It is furthermore difficult to ascertain whether PMDG misunderstood our original problem or whether PMDG simply decided not to address it publicly in the support forum. As we never received a response from the development team to our original issue in this regard, I really don't know how one could not have ultimately been frustrated as I was (am).Robert, I won't pretend to tell you how to conduct business (nor I'm sure do you even begin to solicit such from me), but FWIW, it might prove helpful in the future on this support forum if PMDG team members were to at least acknowledge issues customers are having with your product. Mentioning that the development team is aware of an issue and that currently no resolutions are available, etc, would at least give customers some sense of where to turn to next. I'm sure there is much I don't understand about product development and support in this kind of software market, but nonetheless I share my own personal opinion.Ok, I'm done. Sorry for tying up the forum with all my posts. I will offer a final apology and will not post anymore. I hope PMDG realizes continued success with their amazing products. -Paul Bonhomme

The trouble with this is that it will involve another "window" and I think the MD-11 already used most (61?) of the maximum (64?) available within FSX.If like me you are adding FSCrew (uses another 2) and also something to find your way around airports (another 1) then this option may not be suitable for most -all- customers of the PMDG MD-11.Over the many years I have been a