Sign in to follow this  
Guest Constantine

B747-4 PFD enquiries

Guest Constantine

Hi Guys I'm pretty new to thiscould you advise me please, i have a B747-4please could you tell me what i should set my PFD Radio to on take-offi know my DH would be 200 on land approach but should i set thisprior to take off to my Flap Extn Accelaeration Ht ? as a reminder of my pitch down?Also on landing i set my MDA from the C category for B747-4 and round that figure up to the next hundred, but can you tell me howi obtain my MSL for takeoff for my PFD Also when are my strobe lights turned off is it prior to takeoffon to enter the runway, and then turned off along with LL at FL100 ? Sorry! so many questions Best Wishes and Thank You

First, I don't claim to be a real world pilot so I am not sure I have this totally right.. someone please correct if I don't have it right.Decision Height***************This is dependent on the Category (CAT) of the landing you are flying, and it is a height AGL (above ground level). The Decision Height is the height at which you should have a visual of the runway in order to continue your approach. It can also be used as a precaution for the crew to abort for other reasons. There is also an RVR, or Runway Visual Range, which is a distance at which you should have a visual of the landing runway.CAT I - Must have visual of runway at or above 200 feet AGL, or visual at 1,800 feet RVRCAT II - Must have visual of runway between 100ft and 200ft and at range of 350mCAT IIIa - Must have visual of runway between 100ft and 50ft and at 150m rangeCAT IIIb - Must have visual of runway below 50ft ar range of 75m range.CAT IIIc - No DH required, no RVR required.I hope I have that right, I imagine there are some inaccuracies here..MDA, Minimum Descent Altitude. This should be read from approach charts or SID charts.Strobes go on when passing a hold to a takeoff runway, along with landing lights. Strobes stay on at all times during the flight, they are only turned off after the aircraft has exited the landing runway. Landing lights are off at 10,000 feet, I am not sure how this depends on Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) it might be you can turn these off earlier if it's appropriate. As for turning them on, I am not totally sure, when you're cleared for your approach I imagine would probably be a good time.RegardsCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest Constantine

Thank You very much Craig thats helped greatly, do you have any idea about the PFD settings before take-off in terms of Radio and Baro ?I read somewhere that prior to take-off Radio is set to the Flap Acceleration Height but i'm not sure of the lower value which appears as 400 on my Baro setting on the PFD. Thanks again Craig sorry to be a pain Cheers Richard

I would say, and that your BARO should be the MDA on the chart for your takeoff airfield, and DH doesn't need to be set at this point, but perhaps set it for the DH for the current airfield for the appropriate category landing for the landing runway at your departing field in case you have a problem on takeoff, so it's ready for an immediate return if necessary.CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL