Sign in to follow this  
CaptKornDog

First repaint attempt wound up in disaster

Hello all,I found a computer with PhotoShop this afternoon and decided to try repainting the MD-11 again in a fictional scheme (if anyone can help me use Paint Shop Pro, please see http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...1490&mode=full). However, my first two attempts were quite unsuccessful...http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/4559/image2pm3.jpg(The above is actually my second attempt, I discovered I needed to "invert" the tail texture as it was appearing upside down).While I'd like to consider myself an "intermediate" repainter for FS2004 aircraft...the process in FSX is absolutely mind boggling for me because it appears somehow in my repaint I've managed to alter the model of the MD-11?So far I have created an overall fuselage scheme and have sectioned it into Master_PMDG_MD11CF_Fuse_Right/Left_T file, saved it as a .PSD and converted it to a .DDS file in the suggested "DXT5" format. Now, I think I have already done something wrong here because the thumbnails of a majority of other fuselage files that are included with the MD-11 are almost all black except for some lighting effects on windows/tail. I have never been an expert with Alpha channels, and don't quite understand them...so perhaps this is where I'm being mislead.Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there is a repaint tutorial for FSX that answers all of my questions, especially with an advanced texture set like the MD-11. Is there a chance someone could kindly help me and walk me through the process of taking a mostly-finished fuselage repaint, converting it (if different from .DDS file with DXT5), naming it properly, adjusting anything with Alpha layers, and applying it to the PMDG MD-11?Thank you, I would appreciate it very very much. (Funny how it seems I've gotten the hard part of being artistic done, but am getting lost in the installation process).

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Ok what you need to do is save it with mipmaps tick the box on the right of DXTbmp and save . Only problem with this is writing can seem blurry when selecting the aircraft but once you load it and start a flight it will look fine .Ive just started a paint myself using the paintkit and to be honest i expected it to be a bit better as its not in layers so your limited .

"Leemaz"Please take a moment to read our forum guidelines and sign your name to your posts for me, please?Thanks!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Ive just managed to finish my first paint attached the night textures of the tail as well . It should be on Avsim later unless i find any errors . Its Lufthansa Cargo D-ALCLLee Marrow

So my issue is with mipmaps? Even with engines sticking out of the fuselage perpendicular to the wing?

Since, unfortunately, I'm still confused...just tried another Delta MD-11 repaint variation with similar results to mine above; is there a chance I can request a repaint from someone for the following:http://www.airliners.net/photo/Delta-Air-L...D-11/0819447/M/