Sign in to follow this  
camaflight

AIRAC Cycles from Navigraph

Hi all,I suppose I'm doing like the most of you, I get the AIRAC cycles through Navigraph.My experience is unfortunately that the procedure data quality regarding a lot of airports is bad and also can be buggy. As for the buggy data this means the FMC will report errors.I would like to have an open mind on this issue - just in case there exists some good acceptable explanation that will beat off my little attack here.......My question is of course if more of you also experience bad procedure-strings from the Navigraph airport text-files.I just get a little excited when I pay for something that gives me a hard time to fix in order to have it working realistic.For the record, I am flying the PMDG 737-800 (or at least wish so), and of course want to make flights between airports of my choice and not searching for airports that don't have buggy procedures....Carl

Carl,As far as I know Navigraph and Richard Stephan is using real world data to produce their data. Please elaborate on your statement "a lot of airports is bad and also can be buggy". I have not this experience.Hope it helps,

>Carl,>>As far as I know Navigraph and Richard Stephan is using real>world data to produce their data. Please elaborate on your>statement "a lot of airports is bad and also can be buggy". I>have not this experience.>>Hope it helps,Hi Mats, thanks for responding. I sense from your answer and after re-reading, what I wrote is too much an accusation. I did not mean it that way. The main thing for me is to know if anyone else is experiencing the same as I do.The last airport that have been problematic to me from Cycle 811 is LOWK (Klagenfurt Austria) and especially the Approach procedure for RNW28R.Another thing is that I am waiting for the 811 Cycle for FS-Navigator, because there are so many SID and STARS that have changed names, some are not present anymore and new ones have been added. As I use FS-Navigator to decide which SID and STAR to use it becomes more difficult when FS-Navigator and PMDG (all products) don't match each other.Carl

Carl: Please let Richard know of the bug via the navdata forum, which you can find a link for at Navigraph (I am blocked at work or I would provide it). Give him the specific problem and error message and it will usually get fixed quickly. If there are several squawks, they will issue a Revised Install that can be downloaded at no extra charge (you are only charged once per cycle for unlimited downloads).Ideally, all products that claim to have current navdata would maintain currency. I also use a 3d party flight planner but do not use it to select STARs. The best way to select a procedure is to review the chart, just like it is done real world. You can get on the Eurocontrol web site, as one example, for access to charts in that area. You can also try out the Navigraph nDAC service for flight charts.A 3d way to select a procedure is to look in the procedure file (I do this all the time but I am very used to reading these... they are just simple script files...not hard to interpret). One can look at the STAR and actually "read" the fix from where the transitions start and where the arrival route ends. This process is not as good as looking at the charts.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Dan, I have never visited the Navigraph Forum, but will do so now.You're right about your other points too. I often use the charts, I have a lot of them and have also bought quite a few through nDAC. Besides I also look directly into the specific airport text-files now and then. The reason I use the FS-Navigator is an old habbit as when I'm not using PMDG. However, now we are talking PMDG of course and I will just do as you mention in the future when making a "PMDG-plan". Actually it's more interesting AND fun that way.Thanks for respondingCarl

The ILS28R has a syntax error in the missed approach procedure, minor but annoying. Here is the original text (everything after RNW28R is the missed approach, whew!):APPROACH ILS28R FIX CF28R 4000 FIX OM28R 2700 RNW 28R TRK 285 UNTIL 1870 FIX OVERFLY D285E TURN LEFT DIRECT FIX KINB FIX D285C AT OR ABOVE 4000 TRK 060 INTERCEPT RADIAL 285 TO FIX D285C FIX D285C AT OR ABOVE 4000 FIX KINB 8500 TRK 330 INTERCEPT RADIAL 105 TO FIX KINB FIX KINB 8500 HOLD AT FIX KFT RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 239 ALT 8500 LEGTIME 1I can't tell what they are trying to do here without a chart, and Eurocontrol won't share it due to copyrights (Europeans are so hard to understand when it comes to private vs public infrastructure). The problem is "INTERCEPT RADIAL 285 TO FIX D285C FIX D285C AT OR ABOVE 4000" won't work. One option is to delete everything after RNW 28R... blow off the missed approach then you can use it for simulation.EDIT: I just verified that what I suggested would work, but there is another bug in the approach transition. Be sure to let the navigraph guys know about this one.

Dan Downs KCRP