Sign in to follow this  
exstense

learning to fly...

Well, how about "start reading and flying?" The nice thing about a simulator is the safety, not many are likely to be killed in an accident.Once you have the basic stick and rudder knowledge, the rest just takes time. An Air Transport Rating (for an entry pilot) is minimum 2,000 hours of actual flight time and only guess at number of book hours in addition to that. It takes about 5 years to get five years of experience.Start with small bites. Try to tutorial and start asking questions and searching in the forum on topic. Another way to look at it is the enjoyment is in the journey, not the destination (sounds like real flying) so why not start the journey now?

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts!It makes sense, and as a matter of fact it helps me to overcome some frustration about dealing with some unclear issues. I do study several topics in (this) forums. I just thought (and hoped) that I overlooked some training aid.But just out of curiosity: imagine I would be a real life pilot/student, then I would have expected some training material (on paper). Or does such a real life student also start with a Cessna course like MSFS and then after several thousand hours (pfew, that

A "basic" book is the Airman's Information Manual (FAA), I think the changed airman to aeronautical to be PC; anyway, it covers navigation, airspace, charts, etc: http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air...ons/ATpubs/AIM/Then next next step up is the Instrument Flight Manual (FAA), it covers more advanced topics in instrument flight, IFR navigation, navaids, approaches, GPS, etc: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviatio...-H-8083-15A.pdfThis is just starter stuff, meanwhile the MD11 is so automated that once you get past the initial steep learning curve is literally flies itself, so go fly it.

Dan Downs KCRP