Sign in to follow this  
Guest Totalbeginner

MD11 HDG/TRK confusion with APPR rose showing???

>If you look closely you will see that the distance to the ILS>is 0.8 nm (about 15%) closer in the second picture. :-zhelpSorry, but you seem to have some serious gaps in your knowledge how HSI/CDI works. The distance to station has/should have no influence how CDI points. Please consult some textbook on HSI. This is not a NDB needle which always points to the station.>It does not has any influence on>the CDI.Correct, it should have none, contrary to the situation shown above.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest Kasper Hanselman

>Let me put it another way...>>The aircraft heading and track are displayed correctly in both>images. The ILS course is set to 045 deg, so what is the CDI>pointing or referenced to in the second image? It's pointing>at 030 deg which means absolutely nothing.>>MartinHm, maybe it points to the TRK in stead of HDG? 241-227 = 1445 -31 = 14?

Martin,Based on the scenario you discribed, did some flights observing the APPR Mode.Observed that the CDI pointer, in TRK mode, is not drawn correctly when there is a X-wind. Or to say it otherwise, the CDI is miss aligned by the amount of crosswind component.This can even better be observed when flying a VOR radial, set via the NAVRAD FMS Page, then select the VOR Mode and TRK on the ND.The CDI and RMI for the station have a difference proportional to the crosswind component.Hope this will be corrected in the FS9 version and the FSX Update.Regards,Harry

Xander,Thanks for your very matter of fact contribution.>Hmmm, I'm an airline pilot and although I fly conventional>gauges, logic tells me that even though Douglas "wants" you to>fly the track mode only in MAP mode, it should not allow>conflicting information to be displayed.Have been an airline pilot too, of which I flew MD11's for 11 years. So I can confirm Douglas does NOT "want" you to fly track mode in MAP mode only. >1. Gathering from the degree of automation in the MD-11, if>indeed this was not possible they should at least put a red X>where the CDI was or something.No red X is needed because flying TRK on VOR and APPR modes is valid as well.>2. The TRK / FPA were implemented especially for non-precision>approaches. I can't imagine that a non-precision approach has>to be flown in MAP mode. It does not make sense.Indeed, the primary navigation modes in this case (non-precisionapproaches) are VOR or APPR mode. >The CDI information takes information from the course you>enter. In the first picture it seems the user entered 047

Thanks Michael....knew you would chime in one time or another.Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Guest Kasper Hanselman

You are correct, I had some wrong assumptions.