Sign in to follow this  
Guest Collezio

MD11 Black screen after "ALT" button

I've been having this problem in Vista 64 with 4GB of RAM on a fresh install of the OS and FSX. So far, it's only happened with the MD-11. I get corrupted graphics followed pretty much immediately by a black screen. It is triggered by a task switch or a switch out of full screen graphics. Even loading menus can cause it, as loading the fspassengers map or the PMDG options menu. The graphics get stuck and drag, and then the screen turns black.Pressing Ctrl-C or ESC will bring up the dialog box, but the screen remains black underneath.This is a fresh install of Vista 64 with fresh FSX and MD-11. Comp Specs:Intel E8400 @4ghz (tried at default 3ghz to rule out overclocking issue, no difference)MSI P35D3 Platinum MB4GB DDR3 1066 RAMPNY nvidia 8800 GT 512 with latest drivers (180.42 I believe)Creative Audigy 4Various hard drivesThe problem is reproducible every flight but I can't say which time I go into the menu or hit alt-enter will trigger it.-stefan

I've been having this problem in Vista 64 with 4GB of RAM on a fresh install of the OS and FSX. So far, it's only happened with the MD-11. I get corrupted graphics followed pretty much immediately by a black screen. It is triggered by a task switch or a switch out of full screen graphics. Even loading menus can cause it, as loading the fspassengers map or the PMDG options menu. The graphics get stuck and drag, and then the screen turns black.Pressing Ctrl-C or ESC will bring up the dialog box, but the screen remains black underneath.This is a fresh install of Vista 64 with fresh FSX and MD-11. Comp Specs:Intel E8400 @4ghz (tried at default 3ghz to rule out overclocking issue, no difference)MSI P35D3 Platinum MB4GB DDR3 1066 RAMPNY nvidia 8800 GT 512 with latest drivers (180.42 I believe)Creative Audigy 4Various hard drivesThe problem is reproducible every flight but I can't say which time I go into the menu or hit alt-enter will trigger it.-stefan
Those are exactly the same as the symptoms I get. Still no solution. And no response from PMDG, either. Tim

Those are exactly the same as the symptoms I get. Still no solution. And no response from PMDG, either. Tim
Post your system specs and maybe we can find a common thread or something that is the root cause of this.-stefan

If you both have the same nVidia drivers (180.42), try rolling back to prior drivers. I don't have an nVidia but I remember at least two others having problems with the 180.xx drivers.I also have Vista64 4GB ram but cannot reproduce your problem on my system. I use an ATI4870 video card, which has its own quircks to be sure. None of them seem bullet proof.

Dan Downs KCRP

Can someone who isn't having this problem with a comparable system (at least vista 64 and hopefully a GeForce 8000 series card) post what driver revision they are using, or other steps that have been successful? I haven't tried the LOD fix yet, but if that works, I can just use a lower LOD for the MD-11 I suppose.-stefan

Can someone who isn't having this problem with a comparable system (at least vista 64 and hopefully a GeForce 8000 series card) post what driver revision they are using, or other steps that have been successful? I haven't tried the LOD fix yet, but if that works, I can just use a lower LOD for the MD-11 I suppose.-stefan
I've tried the LOD fix (switching LOD to medium) and can state with certainty that it didn't fix the problem. I opened up the PMDG options menu (in full screen mode) while airborne, and there went my graphics.Can anyone confirm a driver revision where this *doesn't* happen? I can't fly the plane as it is now unless I make absolutely sure I don't need to go into any menus or hit alt-enter to go into another program. So it's basically unusable.I'm yet to reproduce the problem with any aircraft other than the PMDG MD-11.-stefan

Updating again, even though I seem to be the only one paying attention to this:I changed to the 178 drivers. I got further in the flight, but still had the issue.I noticed this time (and one other time) that ground textures stop loading and become a solid light blue shortly before the problem happens. I'm not overclocking the video card, and I've verified that my CPU overclock is unlikely to be the issue by both experiencing the problem with it disabled and also being able to run CPU torture test for several days on end, so it's stable.Is it possible that I just have a bad video card maybe? Although, I still have only had the problem with the PMDG MD-11.-stefan

Updating again, even though I seem to be the only one paying attention to this:I changed to the 178 drivers. I got further in the flight, but still had the issue.I noticed this time (and one other time) that ground textures stop loading and become a solid light blue shortly before the problem happens. I'm not overclocking the video card, and I've verified that my CPU overclock is unlikely to be the issue by both experiencing the problem with it disabled and also being able to run CPU torture test for several days on end, so it's stable.Is it possible that I just have a bad video card maybe? Although, I still have only had the problem with the PMDG MD-11.-stefan
Ok, I have ruled out video card and driver issues. I put my Radeon X1900XTX card back in and experienced the exact same issue. In flight, switching to the PMDG option menu (or any other menu) kills the graphics.I'm still looking for a workaround here. I'm guessing that FS is just overloaded, but I'm unclear how to fix it. Again, this only happens with the MD-11. Any help from PMDG here would be fantastic.-stefan

Then I recommend you email PMDG support with the specifics of your problem. This seems to be limited to a few users and therefore could be something unique to a few systems. I assume if the problem was understood then an answer would have been posted by now... also, make sure you get an automated response when you email them, their email filtering kinda sucks and you might need to open a google mail account to get through. Good luck, and truly wish I could help but I'm not much of a techie and have not had the problem you are having.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest HJHartung

Hi folks,I have the same problems with the MD-11 when running in fullscreen mode. I can avoid the issues described here by running FSX in windowed mode.BUT: in windowed mode I get another problem, which seems to be related:When travelling to bigger airports (KLAX for example), it happens quite frequently that some scenery objects like airport buildings are not displayed any more (i.e. the jetways are standing all on their own). Moving the scenery sliders to the right increases the likehood that this issue shows up. Also the duration of the flight seems to have an influence (longer flights nearly always result in this problem).Now, when the scenery objects are displayed fine, I can switch between windowed and fullscreen mode without any problems. But when I got this scenery object issue, switching between windowed and fullscreen mode (or for example looking at the map when in fullscreen) results in corrupted graphics or a black screen.These things are not restricted to the PMDG MD-11. I recently got the Eaglesoft Cessna Citation II and guess what: same problem (I have posted this in the Eaglesoft Support Forum as well, but no solution yet available).Further, I have tried to reproduce the problem with other aircraft (Aerosoft TwinOtter, Wilco Airbus), but with no success (even with the highest possible scenery settings and FSX being more like a slideshow).Reducing LOD does not help for me as well. I also did some tests to see if the issues are related to memory consumption of the FSX application, but I managed to get FSX running with other aircraft using nearly 3 GB of virtual memory without any problems. The MD-11 starts causing issues at about 2.5 GB virtual memory consumption.So it looks like some aircraft can deal better with higher overall system load, and some can't. Unfortunately the MD-11 seems to belong to the second category.Maybe the upcoming SP for the MD-11 will help here. Hopefully, since from my point of view it is one of the best addons ever created for FSX!But maybe I am totally wrong and the source of these problems is something completely different. So any more ideas will be highly appreciated :( My system:FSX & AccelerationVista 64bit8 GB RAMIntel Q9650 processorGraphics card: ATI HD 4870 (so these problems are not restricted to Nvidia cards)Latest drivers and updates for everything.Thanks & regards, Hans

Alright, fired off a few e-mails until I finally got an autoresponse from the gmail one. I'll update in the thread if we get something sorted out.Thanks Dan!-stefan

I have this with both the PMDG 747X and the MD11X. And this is the EXACT problem well described below.I can't do a long flight and once I start using the menu system in FSX, the graphics slowly start to deteriorate.I'd like to see a separate thread only for people with the exact same problem and everyone puts their system specs forward including scenery add-ons. I fly the 747x and MD11 almost exclusivley and my sim time is seriously going down because I waste hours on a flight only to have the screen go black. I landed in PANC after a 7 hours flight on a surface of baby-blue void. If I had touched the menu system, it surely would have gone black.System Specs:

• Quad Core Q6600 - no overclock
  • EVGA Nvidia 680i SLI Motherboard
  • NVidia 9800GX2 - no overclock (I can provide settings if needed) tried all drivers from 175xx to 180xx
  • Windows Vista 64 Ultimate
  • Live Onecare AV (I changed from BitDefender to see if that was the issue)
  • 4gb Patriot 1066 DDR2 (2x2gb)
  • Soundblast XTreme w/ 64bit drivers (changed from realtek onboard drivers to see if that was the issue)

FSX Addons:

• PMDG MD11X and 747X
  • FS2 Crew for 747 and MD11 and LDS767
  • LDS 767
  • Active Sky X (recently added X Graphics to see if it was a FSX texture)
  • Blueprint (KMEM, KCLE, KIAD, KMSP)
  • Aerosoft (KASE, EGLL)
  • My Traffic X (tried both DX9 and DX10 models)
  • Shockwave 3d Lights Redux
  • Sibwings Safir
  • Wilco (737, Airbus Ser 1 and 2 and A380) (recently added after PMDG symptoms)

Probably Irrelevant but should mention:

• Logitech G5 Mouse
  • Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
  • Saitek X52 Stick (I'm just that crazy - won't fly a stick plane with a yoke)
  • CH Rudder Pedals USB
  • Logitech G15 keyboard.

It's all out there. Anything common for thise with the EXACT symptoms.The reason I stress exact symptoms (as quoted below) is often someone with similar symptoms throws the thread a different direction.I believe many of us have this problem.Thanks,Bob

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

That's pretty much exactly what I get, right down to the baby blue textures, although I don't have to have a long flight for it to happen. If I go into a menu while still over England in the MD-11 tutorial flight, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it, although one time I got to final approach before it went to hell. I haven't noticed it in the 747X yet but then again I haven't been mucking with that one while I try to get this sorted out.Addons:MyTraffic 5.2UTX Europe, USA, and CanadaFSGenesis global mesh & US LandclassGEXFEXASALDS 767PMDG 747, MD-11FS2Crew for LDS and 747Aerosoft Beaver & Twin OtterFlyTampa St. MaartenFSUIPC RegisteredFlight 1 Cessna 172Eaglesoft SR-22Flight 1 ATR-72System Software that is running:NOD32TrackIRCan't think of anything else offhand.-stefan

I have nothing useful to add other than to say that I also experience this issue. I do not own the MD11 and get this black screen at will with the 744x and other aircraft. Usually the issue is compounded (seems worse) with FSINN so I switched to SB. Since SB doesn

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Just an update.I questioned myself if I see it with DX10 and MyTraffic properly set for DX10.Set DX10 in FSX and Installed My Traffic with the DX10 aircraft and schedule.I flew back home in the 747X. Did a flight (accelerated 8x (the shame)) from PANC to KMEM yesterday and didn't have the issue.Granted the Textures load slow in DX10 on top of an inverted FSX logo - but no degredation of graphics over time.Could it be a DirectX issue?I will spend some time with the DX10 settings turned on - but I seem to remember it happening with DX10 turned on as well.The system spec comparison is helpful.More results after my flights.BobKMEM

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World