Sign in to follow this  
e_paul

MD-11 causing FSX to crash

Hello,I have been flying this aircraft ever since the day it was released and only recently have had this issue. I even did a system restore back to the day after I installed the MD-11 and it did not cure the problem.Everything works great up until I try to enter the "from/to" in the MCDU. Once I enter the airport combination FSX freezes and crashes to desktop. All other functions in the MCDU are working porperly. My OS is XP professional, FSX sp1 and sp2 (no acceleration).Any ideas?Thanks,Eric

Hello,I have been flying this aircraft ever since the day it was released and only recently have had this issue. I even did a system restore back to the day after I installed the MD-11 and it did not cure the problem.Everything works great up until I try to enter the "from/to" in the MCDU. Once I enter the airport combination FSX freezes and crashes to desktop. All other functions in the MCDU are working porperly. My OS is XP professional, FSX sp1 and sp2 (no acceleration).Any ideas?Thanks,Eric
Anyone know what could cause this??? I'm still dead in the water.

Just guessing, when you enter orig/dest codes the code looks for the navdata and sidstar files for these locations. Therefore, confirm your navdata and sidstar files are okay.One of the things lacking from the MD11 are error messages for most of the data errors, it will just look at you unblinking and you have no way of knowing what is wrong.Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

Is there an error associated with this when you CTD?I've had this happen occasionally, but it's the pesky msvcr80.dll error...which, unfortunately, I haven't been able to resolve yet even with some of common "uninstall/reinstall" FSX solutions.K.S. Weber

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Is there an error associated with this when you CTD?I've had this happen occasionally, but it's the pesky msvcr80.dll error...which, unfortunately, I haven't been able to resolve yet even with some of common "uninstall/reinstall" FSX solutions.K.S. Weber
Strangely enough there were no error messages associated with the CTD. After contacting support I reinstalled FSX and that cured the problem.

Does anyone have another solution to this problem? I get the same error described above with any airport combo. I have tried ARIAC 0811 and 0812 and neither of them fix the problem. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the MD-11 completely to no avail.Thanks for any help!

Steve Pickle

Steve: What ICAO codes do you enter that cause the crash? Please confirm that your navdata and sidstars are same cycle.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,The crash occurs while trying to enter KSDF/KDFW or PHNL/KLAX. I have not tried any other combinations. My ARIAC is updated to the current PMDG 0812 rev. 1 from Navigraph. I have not tried Terry Yingling's NAVDATA with it yet, however.Thanks for the reply.

Steve Pickle

I found a known bug with KDFW, haven't check KLAX yet. Same as KORD, when selecting a STAR the screen will show runway numbers on the left instead of STARs and pressing one will cause a CTD without a message.The problem is when a certain number of runways and arrivals are contained in the procedure file the FMS program that is used to filter which STARs apply to the selected runway crashes. The number I have found to cause the crash is 14 runways and more than 23 approaches (haven't tested the other combinations possible of creating a total of 37); and lo and behold KDFW has the same number of runways and approaches as KORD and will crash in the same way.What I don't understand is why you are crashing when you enter the ORIG/DEST ICAO codes... the crash I found will run until selecting corrupt data on the STARS selection page. Hmmm...I have attached a copy of KDFW with the last five approaches (RNAV/VOR) "remarked out" ... see if this will work for you. Name the attachment KDFW.txt and put it in your sidstar folder AFTER saving your original someplace else.Hold on... I can't upload a txt file without loosing cr/lf characters. I'll try a zip.Dan

Dan Downs KCRP

Use the KDFW.txt file in the attached zip... this should work unless you have a different problem but since I can select KSDF/KDFW and build the flight plan until selecting STAR I don't know what that might be.Edit: I do not crash selecting PHNL/KLAX either.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan, thanks for all your help!However, the new file did not work. I am starting to think that it is a problem with the MD-11 and not the Navdata. No mater what airports I enter it crashes. I did a CO RTE for SDF-DFW, and that loaded the route, but when I tried to enter KOKC as my alternate, FSX crashed. I am thinking that the MD-11 is having trouble accessing the Navdata to display that information in the MCDU.Any further ideas? Once again, thanks for all your help!

Steve Pickle

I am out of ideas, drop an email to PMDG support. Although busy with the ongoing FS9 md11 beta I am sure they will get to you. Be sure you get an automated response to ensure the email is working both ways.If you can enter a co route but not the alternate I don't think this is a navdata problem else the coroute would trigger whatever was wrong... hmmm, I don't know the detail of the code, I just fly it. Sorry. By the way, thanks for leading me to the sidstar problem at kdfw.

Dan Downs KCRP

Haha no problem, Dan! I'm happy to help. :( I'll be sure to drop support a line tomorrow.

Steve Pickle

I sometimes get a crash in the 2d panel. Ive noticed it happens when i display the throttle panel. It's only happened twice. In anycase, the MD11 is a great product, looking forward to the update!

Matthew S