Sign in to follow this  
Guest lorenz88

MD11 Cold Weather Operations

Guest lorenz88

I read this chapter on the FCOM and on the Systems manual either. The fact is that I'm still in doubt about some thigs. For example:1) The PMDG MD11 has the ice detector system? Are there any differences in the PW or GE version?2) Is it correct to say that PMDG MD11 has NO automatic anti-ice?3) If I switch on some anti-ice devices (wing, engine and tail) on the ground they won't function until airborne,this means that I cannot do a takeoff with ant-ice devices, right??After that what does it mean: "the will function automatically"?4) The windshield anti-ice should be used only when ice in already formed or also as a prevention tool?5) Can I perform a landing with all anti-ice systems activated?6)Is there a way to control (by a switch) the MISC ant-ice (pitot, tat probe, alpha vanes ect..)?7)Is it correct to say that wing and tail anti-ice must be used only as a de-ice equipment?Thanks a lot to everyone...I know that are a lot of questions...I'm happy to have answers only to a few of them... :-)P.S. Does anyone have some more information about KLM'MD11 Cold Weather Operations? ThanksBest WishesLore

hi,go to the following website:http://www.md-11.org/index.htmlClick on "study guide" and open the "Anti Ice" section. this will answer some questions.hope this helps.regards,chrjs(christopher volle)

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Guest lorenz88

Thak you very much! Useful link!Best WishesLore

Guest lorenz88

Any new suggestions??On the website I found a piece of information...but not everything. In particular the questions about PMDG MD11 remains unanswered...Please...someone :-)Thanks a lot everyoneLore

1. Not that i know of2. Correct3. Engine Anti-Ice is available on the Ground, once airborne Wing and Tail Anti-ice will come on automatically when the switches are on4. Correct5. "Yes We Can"6. Nope, all automatico7. Can be used as an Anti-Icer too

Guest lorenz88

Thanks a lot Bryan...immediate and clear replies.Probably you'll think that i'm a fool but i still do not understand what does the anti-ice system do when airborne when I selected it on prevously on the ground. It means that continues to operate as it should operate in flight when I switch it on or it will operate only when ice is formed?Jest another thing came to my mind...in the manual there is written that if the wing anti-ice remais ON on the ground, after 30secs the slats may de dameged. From this I could say that if I switch on the WING/TAIL anti-ice on the ground it won't work until airborne, correct?Thanks again for patience and kindnessBest WishesLore

Lorenzo,Regarding 1 & 2:The PMDG MD11 has an ice detector system, but no automatic anti-ice. Automatice anti-ice is a company option that is not modeled. The ice detector system functions this way: When ice conditions are detected you will get an amber "ICE DETECTED" alert on the EAD.If there are no ice conditions and you turn any anti-ice switch on you will get an amber "NO ICE DETECTED" alert on the EAD.This is what the PMDG MD-11 does now. If the automatic anti-ice option was installed you would get anti-ice automatically turned on/off, instead of just the warning alerts.The rest of your questions were answered by Bryan.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Guest lorenz88

Very kind Michael! Thanks a lot for your complete reply.Now all my questions are answered.Thanks agoi to everyone involved in this topic. Thanks also to PMDG for this fantastic aircraft.Best WishesLore

Prob belongs in a new post come to think of it, as is related to the 744.

>3. Engine Anti-Ice is available on the Ground, once airborne>Wing and Tail Anti-ice will come on automatically when the>switches are onRemember to keep your flaps retracted until just prior to takeoff in these conditions.>5. "Yes We Can"ROFL ROFL ROFLP