Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Djang0

New system for FSX+PMDG744

Hi everyone I'm planning to build a new (budget conscious) PC to run FSX under WinXP flying PMDG744 from the VC. Here's the spec:CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 (3GHz 1333FSB 6MBL2)MB: Asus P5Q SE/R (P45 DDR2)RAM: Corsair XMS DDR2 4GB (dual channel kit)HD: 3X SATA300 (WinXP SP3, FSX, Win Page file)GPU: EVGA 7950GT 600/1450MHz 512MBQ1) Will an E8400 allow me to use PMDG744 to its full potential?Q2) Would PMDG744 benefit more from a lower clocked quad core CPU than a higher clocked dual core becaus of it's complexity?

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 (3GHz 1333FSB 6MBL2)MB: Asus P5Q SE/R (P45 DDR2)RAM: Corsair XMS DDR2 4GB (dual channel kit)HD: 3X SATA300 (WinXP SP3, FSX, Win Page file)GPU: EVGA 7950GT 600/1450MHz 512MBYour spec sounds fine to me, I'd use Vista 64 with 4GB ram, or you won't get the benefit from it. XP64 maybe even too. I would considering upping that GFX card though to something a bit more substantial, 9800's are cheap these days, grab one of those, I don't think you get much benefit from anything better than that though at the moment in FSX.I would get the E8500, Carl on here has one and has managed to overclock it really well, might be worth simply emulating his spec. I've got a Q6600, they're a bit more expensive now but I get good performance from the system at about 3.5Ghz OC.Q1) Will an E8400 allow me to use PMDG744 to its full potential?If you overclock it I would say it would get you there yes, others use the Q6600 and the E8500, both of which clock well on air relatively cheaply. There are few, if any CPUs that give good performance at stock speeds though, overclocking really is the way to go.Q2) Would PMDG744 benefit more from a lower clocked quad core CPU than a higher clocked dual core becaus of it's complexity?Not lower clocking no, FSX is clock speed related, because it's ability to use multiple cores is limited, it does use them but not evenly as I understand it. A faster dual core E8500 will probably out perform a slower clocked Q6600 in FPS on FSX. The being said, if you start using this machine to drive other applications such as ASX etc, then the quad might help you here. If you aren't using those applications and are just running FSX with 747X, the E8500 is probably the way to go.My spec is...Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz (stable)P5K-E P35 Asus4GB 1066Mhz Ram9800 GTX+ NvidiaVista 64That runs FSX pretty well for me, not perfect, but certainly good enough.CheersCraig

Thanks for your response Craig.>Your spec sounds fine to me, I'd use Vista 64 with 4GB ram, or>you won't get the benefit from it. XP64 maybe even too.I've no plans to upgrade to Vista anytime soon, I'll be sticking with XP 32bit. I understand that up to 3GB memory will be used, but is there a potential performance penalty if I install 4GB (i.e. 2x2GB dual channel kit as opposed to 2x1GB + 2x512MB dual channel kits)? I>would considering upping that GFX card though to something a>bit more substantialYeah I was considering a 9800GTX+, but I figured that since I'll be using WinXP and no DirectX 10, for the time being I'll stick with the 7950GT (my current card)... at least I'll see what it can do.

OC'ing the dual core means raising the FSB and here 2x2GB will be a more stable option than 2x1GB + 2x512MB in just about any scenario. The E8400's 9x multi makes reaching 4GHz (where you want to be) a bit tricky as this requires a 450FSB. Not a trivial exercise as managing heat and system stability can become time consuming. The E8600's 10x multi requires "only" a 400FSB to reach 4GHz. I would highly recommend buying the best dual core you can afford for FSX and the 747. As already mentioned, if you plan to have lots of scenery addon's, perhaps some weather addon's etc then the Q9XXX series Quads are well worth a look. Quads are significantly more future proof as well.With the introduction on Phenom II on the near horizon and it's very good initial performance results the prices of Intel's chips will most probably be dropping fairly soon. Holding out till Jan could well save you a decent bunch.Look at the option of adding in the /3GB USERVA=2560 switch to allow your OS to use more of the 4GB of RAM. In all honesty though, with all my add ons (PMDG 747 included) only PMDG's MD-11 actually forced me to add this switch in my own system. Never had issues with the 747.I would also give the 7950GT a go and see what it can do. Especially so if it has 512MB RAM.Konrad

Thanks Konrad.>OC'ing the dual core means raising the FSB and here 2x2GB>will be a more stable option than 2x1GB + 2x512MB in just>about any scenario.I was going to go with 4-4-4-12 800MHz rather than slower 1066MHz RAM, in reviews it seems the 800MHz Corsair XMS are easily overclockable to 1066. Also the Asus P5Q SE/R support up to a 1600Mhx FSB, so in the future if I upgrade to a 1600MHz FSB processor I could run the the 800MHz RAM synchronously (or is this logic only applicable to "slow" 800Mhz memory, i.e. perfoamnce memory will always run faster at higher bandwidth)??? >Look at the option of adding in the /3GB USERVA=2560 switch to>allow your OS to use more of the 4GB of RAM. In all honesty>though, with all my add ons (PMDG 747 included) only PMDG's>MD-11 actually forced me to add this switch in my own system.>Never had issues with the 747.I'll look that up, it's new to me.

I've got a new Q9650 3.0Mhz quad on an ASUS Rampage mobo with 1066Mhz Corsair DDR2.. all four cores run full time with FSX, I've no idea how much better the quad is over the dual because I moved from a P4 single core. All I know is FSX (not the PMDG add-ons per se) is a processor hog and I got as much as my budget would allow. Now I can run ASX and even keep Outlook open browse the forum and open Acrobat and read the manuals on long trips. Real nice.I don't understand why some say FSX doesn't use all four cores.. it sure seems to even when I don't have all the other stuff running.

I wouldn't waste a bunch of money on high end "gamer" RAM like that XMS stuff. The faster timings aren't going to gain you much tangible improvement in my experience. Get the G.Skill 2X2GB 1066 set off newegg, it's good stuff and super cheap.I still highly recommend the ATI 4870 card too, it's been absolutely great for me, one of the best cards I've ever owned, especially considering the price.

Guest D17S

Here's a good econo-box: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...tNumber=7159746The trick with this one is to overclock that Q66 to 3.6Ghz. The math works just right for this set of parts. The Q66 has a 9x multiplier, so the mobo P35 chipset's rated 400Mhz FSB drives it to 9x400=3.6. The ram adds-up nicely too. 2X a 400Mhz FSB = DDR2-800 ram. Running ram faster than (even) 533Mhz won't help anything. That DDR2-800's the perfect stuff and cheap as dirt.Just for reference, this rig will run a bit better than a stock i7 920 (at 2.6), about even with a stock i7 940 (at 3.0), and a bit behind the i7 965 at (3.2). The i7s will O/C to ~ 4.0. That's how they can get cha that 35+% boost in performance . . . but at what price? That's a pretty expensive 35%. (ahhh, imHo!)