Sign in to follow this  
ianoakrhind

744 VHF radios

On the assumption that it is possible to use TWO VHF sets (L & R) in the 747-400, could someone please point me to the section in the PMDG Manual that describes how to switch between the two VHF sets.Easy to use VHF L. Is it then just a matter of clicking on VHF R (to turn on the yellow light) to make VHF R the "active" set and then re-clicking VHF R (to extinguish the light) to return VHF L to be the "active" set.If this the correct procedure, then I cannot find mention of this anywhere in the PMDG literature.Many thanks.Ian

IanOak-RhindSignature6.png

I'm not sure, but I think the limitation on number of comms is a MSFS limitation. My memory is poor, but I think the only options available are COM1/NAV1/NAV2 (COM being the same as VHF, but since both comm and nav are in the VHF band I'm a little confused)... one can include a COM2 for eyecandy but it doesn't have a function in the MSFS platform although I've seen it used for odd stuff like jetway animation in some sceneries in FS9.

Dan Downs KCRP

>On the assumption that it is possible to use TWO VHF sets (L>& R) in the 747-400, could someone please point me to the>section in the PMDG Manual that describes how to switch>between the two VHF sets.>>Easy to use VHF L. Is it then just a matter of clicking on VHF>R (to turn on the yellow light) to make VHF R the "active" set>and then re-clicking VHF R (to extinguish the light) to return>VHF L to be the "active" set.>>If this the correct procedure, then I cannot find mention of>this anywhere in the PMDG literature.>>Many thanks.>>Ian According to the 747 manual, chapter 07 (Cockpit Overview), page 3, PMDG have modelled two of the three VHF Comm channels. That is apparently the maximum MSFS allows. The function and use of the radio tuning switches is not mentioned, just as you say. Selecting VHF R should assign that tuning head to that radio. I'm not sure how much good it will do you using it, I've never tried it (I always let the ATC system automatically take care of radio frequencies). The aircraft has a comms selector box at each crew station which selects which radio that crew station is transmitting on and which one(s) are being monitored. MSFS cannot currently cope with level of sophistication.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

I've just refreshed my memory on the 747 sim, I've been flying the MD-11 recently!The VHF L and VHF R buttons are non-functional in the PMDG 747, so the Captain's VHF COMM tuning head is dedicated to VHF L (i.e. COMM 1)and the F/O's to VHF R (i.e. COMM 2). However you can tune a comm frequency on the F/O side and use the Captain's MIC selector switch on the comms box below the tuning head to switch between transmitting on VHF L or VHF R. That way you can have both VHF COMM radios tuned to different stations and both standby displays set to different frequencies, four different preset frequencies in other words.The FSX ATC system will use the comm radio you have chosen to transmit on via the MIC selector.You should also be able to monitor both VHF COMM channels simultaneously, contrary to what I said in the previous post, using the audio select buttons.Hope this helpsKevin

ki9cAAb.jpg