Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joseph98053

A Few Questions - Please Look

Guest Joseph98053

I just purchased the MPDG 747X today. I've read all the manuals and tutorials, and have a pretty good idea how to work the thing. However, i've encountered a number of problems that i'm sure any one of you could easily correct if wouldn't mind taking a moment to help out a newcomer to the software. 1. When I attempt to manipulate the knobs on the various autopilot functions (SPD HOLD, ALT HOLD, VS, etc.), the values will only go down until they reach their minimum. The figures will not go up. 2. When trying to get the FMC to figure out where I am, for lack of more technical terminology, by copying the last known position's coordinates to "Set IRS POS", I encounter a problem. There is a discrepancy between what was shown in this example photo (http://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/images/irspos.jpg) and what shows up on my FMC. The blank position in which I would normally "paste" the coordinate value bellow the words "SET IRS POS" does not exist on my FMC. 3. In flight, when I attempt to engage VNAV and LNAV, it does not allow me. It says in the FMC that there is not active route, and that "PERF/VNAV UNAVAILABLE." Do I have to activate and engage each page on the FMC during flight planning?4. When I engage an autopilot function, I cannot disengage it. The light on the button will not extinguish.

1) The mousewheel doesn't work as you might expect. Use the left and right mouse buttons.2) Turn the IRS knobs to OFF then back to NAV, and you should see a set of boxes under "SET IRS POS". You may have to enter the number TWICE, if your plane has moved since you last used it (this is normal).3) Yes, you need to do everthing that is required for preflight (create a complete route, fill out PERF page, etc)4) There is a bar beneath the three autopilot buttons. Pull it.- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Guest Joseph98053

>1) The mousewheel doesn't work as you might expect. Use the>left and right mouse buttons.>>2) Turn the IRS knobs to OFF then back to NAV, and you should>see a set of boxes under "SET IRS POS". You may have to enter>the number TWICE, if your plane has moved since you last used>it (this is normal).>>3) Yes, you need to do everthing that is required for>preflight (create a complete route, fill out PERF page, etc)>>4) There is a bar beneath the three autopilot buttons. Pull>it.>>- Bill>Thanks, Bill!So I got the VNAV and LNAV to engage, but once I got airborne and the functions started working, it leveled off at 10,000ft. The cruise level was set at 30,000 in the FMC. The altitude was set as 10,000 in the altitude hold window, for lack of better terminology, but altitude hold was not engaged. Can anyone tell me why?So, with LNAV and VNAV engaged, the autopilot will fly your course and will maintain 250 bellow 10,000 ft, and then accelerate to whatever it feels is the most economical speed?

>The altitude>was set as 10,000 in the altitude hold window, for lack of>better terminology, but altitude hold was not engaged. Can>anyone tell me why?You probably meant the "MCP altitude" window. It has nothing to do with the "hold" mode. This is the way it is supposed to work - you might want to revisit your tutorials and/or the manuals, the operation of MCP altitude is fairly fundamental to operating all Boeing/Airbus aircraft.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest lgvpilot1

Hello Joeseph ? Joe ?Mate you are asked to sign your name on your posts in this forumThought id better mention it !The problem with PMDG aircraft is you cannot just fire up and fly It really is one of those aircraft where you have to RTFMAnd what makes it worse is once you own it its the first thing you want to do As to your question on the altitude , try dialling in a higher altitude on the MCP and then left click on the dial .Also have a look at this website , it is no substitute for the manuals and check rides but it will get you in the air and back down againhttp://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/NormalProcedures.pdfOnce you have the basics , then come back and ask as many questions as you like, and i can assure you people on this site with a lot of experience will be more than willing to help you out Good LuckMark

Guest Joseph98053

If I wanted to fly the following route:KBFI BTG SFO KLAX...what would I enter into the RTE page?"Direct to BTGDirect to SFODirect to KLAX" ???-Joseph98053

Joseph,You really need to learn some basic information about how complex airliner systems work. Go through the Type Rating Course tutorials that are available on our website's downloads section.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com