Sign in to follow this  
Guest swanrunner

MD11 TOD pause failure

Guest swanrunner

I like to fly long hauls in real time and will take off and climb to cruise altitude and let Otto fly unattended. My top of descent pause box is checked in case I don't get back in time. Sometimes the pause is bypassed and I end up over flying the destination and find my MD11 wandering around the sky 100's of miles off course. I know this has happened in the RW (crew falling asleep) but I don't really want to simulate it. This only happens in the MD11. The feature has been working every time in the 747. It is a random event, sometimes it works fine. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.Thanks John KSEA

Yup, happened to me this morning but it was the first time it had done so. I think the design shop is aware of it but I don't have a status.Let's compare notes. One thing unusual was I used a saved panel state. By any chance can you see a pattern as to when it might not pause at TOD?

Dan Downs KCRP

Yup, happened to me this morning but it was the first time it had done so. I think the design shop is aware of it but I don't have a status.Let's compare notes. One thing unusual was I used a saved panel state. By any chance can you see a pattern as to when it might not pause at TOD?
I have had it fail once. Did you both have a SID, Transition and Runway selected at the arrival end of the flight?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I use SIDs STARs and IAPs in the F-PLN as a general rule, the only time I had a failure to pause at TOD was when I used a saved panel state (in fact it was the one used for the tutorial). In dozens of other flights it has worked, just didn't that once. I wonder....

Dan Downs KCRP

I use SIDs STARs and IAPs in the F-PLN as a general rule, the only time I had a failure to pause at TOD was when I used a saved panel state (in fact it was the one used for the tutorial). In dozens of other flights it has worked, just didn't that once. I wonder....
Oops, I mean did you have any STARs...

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest Guest

Guest swanrunner

Dan, I ran 2 identical flights, one with a saved panel and one from scratch and the pause feature worked both times. So it seems to be a random event. However that seems to be the least of my problems now. I decided to blow the cobwebs off the 747 this weekend and now my MD11 is falling apart in flight. I deleted my fsx.cfg file and uninstalled both the MD11 and 747. I reinstalled only the MD11 but am still having this problem as the pictures show. I can do an in flight save and without exiting flt sim the plane is back in one piece. Sure hope that Windows 7 and FS11 will improve flt sim operation. I know from numerous treads on this subject there are a lot of us out there having these problems. At least my cockpit stays intact so I can keep flying.John KSEAHp Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 ghz 6g Ram GeForce 9600GT 512k Vista 64 Saitek Yoke and throttle quadrant

John, you should have started a new thread regarding the blown apart airplane. The problem may be lurking in the FSX areas that may have not been deleted when you did a uninstall. There is a tip in the PMDG Ops: http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/PMDG_...hrough_skeletonI know this comes up once in a while. The way to approach it is to assume it is a problem in your configuration, but not having experienced this one myself I'm afraid I can't be much help. Maybe others can which is why I suggested a new thread with a subject line that would be related to the problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest swanrunner

Thanks for the reply Dan. I dreaded the thought of deleting FSX and starting over from scratch since I have done this several times all ready trying to solve one problem or another. Anyway the break apart problem magically seems to have fixed itself since I have not had it re occur. I can use the flt save option as a work around to put the plane back together if it should ever happen again.John KSEA

Just ran into this same issue several times now with the FS9 MD11...including twice on the same flight after it failed the first time!I'm using the FS2Crew Cold and Dark saved panel state, and sometimes it has been running at 4x sim rate when it reached the TOD and blew by it, sometimes 1x.Anybody else in the FS9 version have issues with this?Jonathan

I get the feeling that these TOD failure issues have to do with using FS2Crew saved panel states... I've had it happen to me when using them but never while using the PMDG panel states...

Happens to me also; no FS2Crew, no saved panel state or whatever. To me it happened on the second leg of a flight. Did the first leg and TOD pause worked. Did the second leg ( just reloaded the FMC and fuel, nothing else) and no TOD pause ..hope this can be fixedrgds / Dick

I like to fly long hauls in real time and will take off and climb to cruise altitude and let Otto fly unattended. My top of descent pause box is checked in case I don't get back in time. Sometimes the pause is bypassed and I end up over flying the destination and find my MD11 wandering around the sky 100's of miles off course. I know this has happened in the RW (crew falling asleep) but I don't really want to simulate it. This only happens in the MD11. The feature has been working every time in the 747. It is a random event, sometimes it works fine. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.Thanks John KSEA
So the MD-11 doesn't enter a hold at the last waypoint in the flight plan?

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

The TOD feature is calibrated to pause a estimated time before TOD rather than distance as in 737/747.

Dan Downs KCRP