Sign in to follow this  

pilot seat position

I'm struggeling to adjust the the seat using the PIC panel. Either i see almost 80% down to the runway or i look into the clouds. Any recommendations ?

If you were on the ground, in a 757/767 the seat starts aft and down. Its VERY hard (at least for the average middle-aged pilot not used to bending) to get in/out of the seat if it is set-up properly without moving it. And adjusting the seat is rather complicated sliding it on the tracks etc. Its is fun though.The seat in the real world has more ways to adjust then a barber's chair. But there is only one correct way to position it according to the AOM:The seat is raised so you can sight down the top slope of the glare shield and the bottom edge of the EHSI/ND rests on top of the column. Kinda hard to do that in PIC767 since we don't have those two reference points. You end up kinda high.Well, it is the best they can do within the simulator environmentIn the 727 they had 3 reference balls near the compass on the center- post in a triangle. You eclipsed the orange ball with the white ball and you were in the slot.Not sure how the a320 does it.....poodle dog tags, aligning the pink bows?????Timothy (Mind the step up (767) or down (757))

"Not sure how the a320 does it.....poodle dog tags, aligning the pink bows?????"Stop it, you're killing me! ROFLMAO

PIC is probably the only aircraft I owned where I did not have to adjust the original seat position.Michael J.

For the really bored and hard core, "767 Sightlines":At the eye ref point (see above on how THAT gem is determined) the pilot will see the ground 47 feet, 3 inches infront of the plane, everything flat on the ground that is between that and the pilot should not be able to see since the airplane structure (glare shield/nose) obstructs the view.So find a mark that is almost 50 feet long (Runway threshold markings?), slew the 767 to the end of tht mark, adjust the up n down till the far end of the stripe vanishes. Or take my advice, spend the time learning the FMC and don't worry about sightlines (chuckle)Timothy (Sitting by the fire wiping down my Ray Bans)

I too wish for a better position. In cruise flight you should see the horizon cutting the windshield into thirds, 2/3 above horizon, 1/3 below. (I am an airline pilot) You can accomplish this with 2 clicks of shift+enter but that leaves the view on final and touchdown to steep. It's puzzling until you force yourself to realize your not really dealing with real life so the rules of 3 dimensional space and the relationships of perspectives don't necessarily apply. It may be that the zoom has to be adjsted, I don't know. But I'll say this, this panel coupled with the Posky 767 is a masterpiece of software. These guys did such a thorough job, you really appreciate it when you fly other products (no names) that are full of quirky behaviour. Posky is great too and I can't believe it's free. The PIC team, as well as Posky, has done a tremendous service to our community by setting a standard for others to shoot for. Good Frame Rates, fantastic functionality, beautiful images, great documentation. Very few products will ever hold a place like this in the history of ms flight sim. I remember the first payware Lago md panel, how excited I was to finally have a panel that could climb with a constant power setting and control speed with pitch! That seemed like such a breakthrough, and of course Eric's whole line of freeware panels that slowly transformed the sim from a , well, a toy, into a great hobby. My wife helps me keep it in perspective because I can get pretty caught up in it, she hates computers and one day I just had to call her in to look at a external view of a jet simming through the sky, contrails, sun, clouds, reflective water, my mouth was watering just looking at it and I thought she would be impressed too. her comment? "Oh yea, who's flying? Bugs Bunny?" Women....

I made it. Thanks all for their help ! By the way, Fred, what airline you are flying for ?Jens