Sign in to follow this  
Guest WorkingStiff

What is your definition of "hand fly?"

Handfly for me is either A/P, and A/T off, or sometimes with just A/P off.My typical scenario is:A/T, FD, ON - upto TOC.Cruise is A/T, A/P LNAV/VNAV (and 4X :-) I usually do very short flights anyway)A/T and A/P off at TOD, handfly using VNAV/LNAV or FL CH/LNAV to APP as FD cues. To make it fun - sometimes rawdata+no map mode+DME Arc and automatics off to touchdown.FS Meteo (no time for VATSIM flights - work/family/life intrudes)I am by no means a RW pilot (disregarding some long ago training in Cessna 172s) and I find PIC to be very easy to handfly.Cheers

Guest bisinchi

Handfly would be A/P off, A/T off.I usually handfly up to FL100 and from FL100 too. This may not be very realistic, but it more fun, besides, the plane is such a joy to control, I would really be missing if I didn't do some hand flying!!Another reason is, you spend 90% of the flight with VNAV/LNAV on, so a bit of manual flying makes up for a nice start/end of a flight!!As for the limit to FL100, it's just that I find it easier to accelerate using FL change then!! Personal taste,Francois

Well Stiffy the 10000 foot rule is .... Eric E. posted his way of doing things! Thats why! Its an old post many moons. Probably after the release of PIC767. He also stated that the he switched off AT as they were to slow in reacting and then would over thrust and under thrust. Take careTony

Hey Stiffy,I get your point. Unfortunately I can not do V1 cuts on FS2002 either with 767 PIC. The rudder jumps while the YD is OFF but it needs to be off so that you have control. That makes it impossible to do a V1 but right. I can do it by being all over the place. On fs2000 the V1 cut use to work like on a simulator, it was beautiful!. I would love to do a session where a bunch a PIC drivers go out and do formation flying for a picture, what do you think?. I hope that Wade takes a look at the rudder issue. The V1 cuts are way to much fun to miss. Pedro

I heard the old school Lufthansa cap'ns used to make the F/O's hand fly all the way to cruise alt then all the way from T/D down to zero...every flight...eeekRob.

Guest Lenny Zaman

For me handfly now, is A/T on and A/P off, FD oni don't handfly alot lately because i'm doing a world tour for IVAO and once i got it up to cruise level, i start up my WORD and start working that HELLISH esthetics assignment. But if i have time to relax(even tho i'm having vacation, here vacation is nothing but making assignments the teachers gave you the last day befor ethe holliday with a deadline like the first week after the vacation, so i don't call it vacation anymore)But if i handfly it, it goes smooth, tho need to learn some basic principles of flight like propper thrust control(manual that is) as i'm having a hard time with it, maybe any suggestions?Thanks

Name the time and place, I am sure you will get a good turn out of PIC-addicts.Did I see you controlling on VATSIM the other day?Rob.

Guest WorkingStiff

Wow...I didn't expect this many responses.I noticed though that there are divergent opinions about what "hand flying" is. Some respondents think that the use of autothrottle still qualifies as handflying while others, notably Pedro, use neither autopilot nor autothrottle.I suppose that the degree to which hand flying is practiced is contingent on the equipment available....having a stand-alone throttle quadrant, yoke and pedals certainly is a big advantage.You can understand how a casual 767 PIC user would be confused.

I am not a controller but I was flying in the LA Area. Have you guys ever tried the gaming zone. That might be a good place to start so we can fly formation. Pedro

Stiffy,Whilst I agree with Pedro that handflying means autopilot AND autothrottle off, I have a "loophole" :-) and here it is:My use of autothrottle from T/O roll to TOC (while I am "handflying") is purely to set T/O power, and then switching to CLB power. No SPEED control ever. So if A/T is not used for anything other than N1/EPR hold - its still handflying ;-)About the equipment - I wish I had all that...The only thing the missus approved on the budget was MS Sidewinder Pro (not even the lousy Force Feedback...)casual 767 PIC user - surely an oxymoron?Cheers

Hi,I'll be on the MSN Gamne Zone Friday night 4/12 with Roger Wilco. If you guys want to show up we can fly formation or touch and goes , crosswind landings or whatever. Pedro

Pedro,You might want to check out VATSIM if you have not already. The MSN Gaming Zone is prone to any idiot joining your session.I would love to join you sometime - outside of MSN Gaming Zone - what time is "Friday night"? Perhaps a zulu time would be bet.Thanks,Rob.