Sign in to follow this  

Can't get the localizer tracking mode armed or active

What did I miss in the manual.I swich VOR1 to manual and tune into a VOR, In the EHSI (swiched to VOR mode) I can see that the VOR signal is being received. But I can't click the LOC switch on the MCP, nor the BCRS switch. CMD and FD are active.What is wrong?Thanks in advancePeter

Are you sure you are tuning a true localizer ? If this is just an ordinary VOR signal then it won't work. 767 can't track a VOR radial.Michael J.

Thats it. I was tuning in to an Ordinary VOR.So that means that the only way to track a VOR radial in the 767 is using the FMC, right? Is this also the case in the real plane? It probably is, but why?Thanks Peter

Yes, it is the case in the real plane. As to why, I'm not entirely sure what the design philosophy was, but here's my guess:The mix of IRS and FMC computed position is at least as accurate, if not more accurate, than the position information you would get from tracking a VOR. VORs (and NDBs, particularly) are prone to anamolies due to weather conditions, etc.Additionally, since the functionality to, say, intercept a radial to go direct to a VOR is built in to the FMC, there really doesn't seem to be a need for the autopilot to track a VOR radial separately.Besides...you can always hand fly it! =)Jon (KSEA)

I understand.Well, I'm going back to the FMC manual now.I still have a lot to learn...Thanks for your helpPeter