Sign in to follow this  

Rudder and elevator behavior

Hi,I have just installed FS2002, PIC, the FS2002 patch for PIC and a POSKY aircraft (on which I have used Lees utility to merge it with PIC).However, the problem I will describe below is not related to the PIC/POSKY merge. It rather concerns only PIC aircraft (both default and PIC/POSKY). It does not concern POSKY-aircaft without PIC or default MS-aircraft.Also, I have tried to find an answer in the forums - without success.The problem is as follows. If I e.g. apply maximum rudder to the left, the rudder will not stay in that position. Instead it will fluctuate between max rudder to the left and max rudder to the right. If I watch the ECAM screen this is evident, as it looks as if the rudder contiunes to the left (out of the meter), but re-appears as max right rudder. It then immediately changes back to max left, back to max right and so on ...The same problem occurs on max rudder right, max elevator up, max elevator down and max elevator up. It does not occur in connection with the ailerons, nor does it involve rudder or elevator positions inbetween max.The consequences of this is that the PIC-aircraft become difficult to steer on the ground, as it is sometimes hard not to apply max rudder during turns (not necessarily sharp turns).Even worse are the consequences if max elevator (pulling the joystick back max) is used during e.g. takeoff. The aircraft will then not climb - it becomes somewhat uncontrollable.As I stated in the beginning the problems does only concern PIC-equipped aircraft. It does, however, concern all PIC-aicraft. Thus, the problems exist on PIC-alone and PIC/PROSKY. But not on POSKY or MS-default aircraft. I therfore do not believe that the problem is POSKY-realted.It is, however, a pitty that I cannot steer my PIC-aircraft properly or use maximum elevator.BTW, I use a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D (via USB) under Win98.Kind regards,Ola

Hi OlaI had the same problem with PIC. Tried a lot of different things but nothing worked.Then, by accident I reset my start-up default plane to the MSFS2k2 default 182 and left that as my default Start-up.I don't have a clue why, but my PIC problem with the rapid, uncommanded maximum deflection of the control surfaces stopped happening when I had the C182 at the start of the program.If you search on the this forum you will find this popped up from time to time.Timothy

Hi Ola,I only have the problem you are describing with the rudder. Whenever the YDs are OFF I get that type of behavior and unfortunately the YDs have to be OFF to have rudder control airborne. This makes it now difficult to do V1 cuts. I am not sure if anyone on the team even knows about the problem. Other people have written about it before. I am not sure why you get this also with the elevators since it seems that the problem was only with the rudder. In any case if you find out anything let us know. Pedro

I had the same problem, have since fixed it, but still have a minor problem with the rudder.Here's my story;One month ago I bought PIC. I used Lee's merge file, and had the exact same problem with the elevator and rudder. Pulling the elevator right back/forward, would cause it to flutter, hitting full rudder would cause the same flutter problem (with the right yaw damper off). What I did was this. In the aircraft.cfg I changed the rudder_limit=23.49270 to = 20.0, Elevator_up_limit=27.501974 to = 17.0, Elevator_down_limit=20.626481 to = 17.0. Then I changed the Rudder_effectiveness=1.8 to = 15.0. I now could fly with no flutters, and still side slip in a 40 knot wind if required (with both yaw dampers left on). Downside too this, I have to keep both yaw dampers on all the time, and thus, don't see any wheel or rudder animation.So, play around with these figures, and you too can fix it.I also had FSUPIC version 2.77 installed. My memory is failing me, but by removing the FSUPIC module, from the modules folder, had some effects to the above problem ( I think fixed it, but can't remember). Bottom line is, I needed FSUPIC, so I installed version 2.85, but it still didn't fix my problem.I then uninstalled PIC, reinstalled it, used Lee's merge file, and guess what, my whole problem was fixed (except for the rudder issue). Yes, all the changes I listed above, are back to original except for the rudder. I had to keep the rudder_effectiveness=15.0, and fly with both yaw dampers on. Hope this helps...

I am having a very similar problem with my rudder and aileron controls, except that I don't get random flutter. The control goes completely to one side and stays there. I can see it in airplane view, on the status display page, and on the joystick control page of FSUIPC. It doesn't matter whether I start with a default airplane or not, when I load up the PIC 767, the problem recurs. Whenever I switch back and forth, the problem goes away on the default airplanes and recurs on the PIC 767. Also, the problem exists no matter what position the yaw damper switch is in, or whether or not auto-coordination is on.I have checked to see where the problem manifests itself in starting from a shutdown airplane. I don't experience the problem until after I have everything running (engines, hydraulics, packs, etc.). I also think that it may only occur at very scenery intensive airports (e.g., Seattle with Airports Vol 3 installed), but I have not done enough testing to confirm that yet. If true, then I think it is related to computational capacity and resources of the computer. I am running WinXP with a Pentium 3 800 MHz, proc, 512 mb SDRAM, and am using a Soundblaster Live! Platinum sound card and GeForce 2MX400 video card. The yoke is a CH Flight Yoke USB, and the rudder pedals are Thrustmaster Elite pedals hooked through a Logitech Wingman analog joystick.Don S.

I've finally been able to examine this issue a little bit more. I found in one trial done at KPHX that if I had an external view window open (e.g, top down view) in a addition to the cockpit view that my rudder and/or aileron would go to full deflection and stay there. If I closed the external view window and jockeyed the stuck control back-and-forth a couple of times, it would become unstuck and center properly. Open the external view window again, and the unwanted control behavior returns.Don S.

Hi Timothy,I never heard of that solution but I am going to try starting with the default 182 and see if that cures the problem. Hope it also works for me. Thank you, Pedro

I am so glad to read that I am not the only person having this problem with the max deflection of control surfaces. I haven't been able to solve it, but I have noticed that it only occurs when the aircraft is on the ground. When I gently pull back on the control column to get the bird airborne, the problem goes away once I am in the air. During flight, I can max deflect the control surfaces and they won't go to max deflection. This makes me feel better, but I hope a patch comes out to fix this. Thanks,