Sign in to follow this  

Question for the PIC Design Team(if anyone happens to r

Hi,My question is regarding the rudder behavior when the Yaw Dampers are OFF. On FS2002 the Yaw Dampers have to be OFF to have Rudder control airborne which is necessary for flying single engine and directional control during crosswind landings. The FS2002 patch is a delight but it causes the rudder to oscillate between user input and max deflection whenever the user presses the rudder. The aircraft is still controlable yet this causes the heading to oscillate as the user tries to regain control. My question is: have you guys seen this behavior or know what is the ultimate cause? Any information would be much appreciated. P.S. FS2000 767 PIC did not have this problem.Thank you, Pedro

Hi Pedro. Yep, we've seen it but don't have a solution for it yet unfortunately.Regards,Wade

I don't think that the air dynamics engine of any version of flight simulator thus far has ever faithfully duplicated the actual process of yaw damping. A real swept wing aircraft of course has a tendency to dutch roll which the yaw damper takes care of. Since flight simulator can't simulate this roll the Yaw damper switches either simply engage auto coordination or work as eye candy. This is true with PIC or any add on. Leaving the Yaw dampers off gives you the ability to control both crosswind and asymmetrical thrust situations as you mention. So just leaving the dampers off give you more realism in terms of actual flight, albeit at the sacrifice of cockpit procedures :)

Pedro,As an addendum to my above post, try turning off your left yaw damper switch while leaving the right switch engaged. See if that helps your situation. Don't ask me why but this solved some similar rudder flutters for me. Don't take life too seriously- you'll never get out alive anyway

Per suggestion of one of the jet pilots here (I believe it was KevinAu) I fly the PIC with both yaw dampers engaged but I increased rudder_effectiveness to 8.0. Works for me including ability to do crosswind stuff and taxing on the ground.Michael J.

Hi Wade,Thank you. I don't know why but it makes me feel better that you guys have seen it to. Take care, Pedro

Hi Michael,Yeah I have already done that, the problem is the oscillation of the rudder due to pilot input. See Wade's post above. Pedro

Pedro,I think it was Lee Hetherington who posted some back that switching off the right damper does nothing (i.e. still no rudder control) but switching off the left damper allows rudder control but also gives the full deflection you mention.Lee suggested increasing rudder authority to 8 to allow rudder control with both dampers on and it *should* get rid of the full deflection bug.Hope that helps, but you probably already knew that :-)