Sign in to follow this  

Pushback

Fortunately, not how ;-), but when? I've been flying around in PIC since FS2000 and have always pushed back at the end of 'Cockpit Prep - Final', but with the advent of ATC, I got to wondering... If you have to get your start clearance after the FMC/Speed bug question, it's normal to obtain pushback clearance before start, hence do I pushback at this point? In the grand scheme of things, it's trivia, but it adds to the authenticity!GeoffPS Does anybody know what the available Airline callsigns are or if there are any out there (like Speedbird!)

Guest crashing_pilot

hi there,i believe there are some files in the library that tell you exactly which callsigns are available in fs2k2,i got it from flightsim.com,just search on "atc" regardsTom van der ElstVP C o m p a s s va:-bat

Well if you want the speedbird callsign the right one is "speed bird"

I could not help but notice that the replies have dealt only with your callsign question. As for when to pushback- it is my understanding that in Europe ATC permission is needed to pushback/start. But in the USA contact with ATC Ground is normally not initiated until after pushback/start as the ground controller does not control traffic in the ramp area. Therefore, the answer depends on where you are flying. As a VATSIM controller in the US, I routinely issue the instruction " Call ready to taxi". I assume the aircraft will pushback and initiate engine start but not move from the pushback position until given instruction to do so.

Every major US airport I've been to has someone controlling the pushbacks. Sometimes it's ground control, at others (JFK and DEN come to mind) it's a ramp controller. At Denver, for instance, you'll hear "United XXX, wait for the company 767 to pass behind you, then push back - tail east."At any rate, typically after I've done all of the preflight work, I'll do a before pushback/engine start flow.-Hydraulics: Primary pumps on, demand pumps auto-Electrical: Set-Fuel: Pumps on as necessary-Packs: Off-Beacon: OnThen I'll push back and start engines. Your mileage may vary,Jon (KSEA)

It all depends on where your at in the US. At Memphis TN, FedEx has its own ramp tower. Aircraft have to call the tower just to get a Beacon. Then they get a push clearance. Once they taxi to MEM Ground's area, they switch them over. But in Mobile, you just push the plane back if its clear behind you. And then call the tower while your taxing, you'd just have to see KBFM to understand. Its kinda confusing between the non-movement areas and the movement areas of the airport, and the Tower cant see the whole ramp.

Also, at some airports - and even there, it depends on the gate - you are allowed to start your engines during pushback, at others, you have to wait until the tug is removed. I've experienced both at Heathrow - I think it may depend on whether you're too close to the building, or on the other hand obstructing traffic. Maybe someone like Ian Ridell can enlighten us...Cheers,Gosta.

FedEx at Memphis has some gates like that. Its mainly due to the jet blast to other personnel. Especially if you have gates that behind each other. Containers that are empty are like projectiles. Doesnt take much to get them airborne.

Yeah, I can see that. I just wonder, if there's some form of universal policy on when to start an engine or not, like 'you can only start your engine if you're x metres away from the nearest movable object', or something to that effect. Would be interesting to know.Cheers,Gosta.

They just publish NOTAMS for the gates that are "start after push only". And they contact Jeppesen for the changes. Jeppesen publishes all normal charts for fedex, plus what is called "Salmon Charts" because of the color. These charts are fedex only. They list company freqs and where the fedex gates are at an airport, plus all NOTAMS. Also, they have different CAT's for Airports. Like Mobile Downtown is a HIGH RISK CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain). Because of Three things, we have only one ILS approach and its over water. Plus the Tower closes at 10pm local. KBHM is a MODERATE RISK because of the terrain around the airport. (It sometimes sets off the GPWS by the way, esp on the ILS24)

Some jets are rather "picky" about having a strong breeze up the tailpipe prior to start. Sometime "tail East" is not good....The best, most complete answer is that various airlines have various ways of handling the "sequence" during pushback, be it SMAC (Standard Manuvers and Configurations), SOPA (Standard Operating Procedures Amplified0 FOM, "C:" manual. Jepp "T" pages etc etc etc. Some of it is work rules in the various contracts for ramp workers.At major hubs in the US the "owning" airline has the ramp control function. They are geneally located in a mini-ramp-tower overlooking the ramp, the cab being perched ontop of a terminal wing.The procedures are outlines in the Jeps as to what "Spot" to call ATC and most have a coded route to/from the active (These get confusing). Timothy