Sign in to follow this  

autoland help needed

I'm not very schooled in the fine art the "autoland". I've been trying to activate it but can't. At what point do you activate the autoland? Is it just a matter of hitting the "APP" button or is it the "LOC" button? and what is the difference between the two?. One more thing, do you hit the "APP" button first or the other two autopilot buttons first? I've been reading the manual but it is not very helpful..thanks

press approach button (only works when you have the ils-frequency tuned in and active), then activate all three autopilots (works only when the approach button is pressed).cheersmmmol

To answer your second question, the difference between LOC and APP is that LOC mode only intercepts the localizer while APP intercepts both the localizer and glideslope. The AP Multichannels only work in App mode (so preselect that)To insure that you're autoland is gonna work out, make sure you have a 10-15 mile final flying at Vref. And remember, if you're above the G/S, the plane won't descend itself so intercept from below. Max recommendedd localizer intercept angle is around 40

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Thanks for the replies, I will try to practice more, I've completed one successful Autolanding so far at vref+5 and about 3 degrees pitch at landing so I think I'm getting it. Just thought that such an important procedure as landing would have be alittle more foolproof if you know what I mean.Zanther

Yes, but at the same time the fool you would have to proof against is presumably qualified to fly a 767. :)Seriously, though...setting up an autoland is not difficult, once you're familiar with the procedures. Get yourself established early, make sure your VREF is set correctly for your landing weight, and engage all three autopilots once you're in Approach mode.By the way, for an autolanding, you don't need to set the bug at VREF+anything. Just at VREF is fine.Jon (KSEA)

>Yes, but at the same time the fool you would have to proof >against is presumably qualified to fly a 767. :) :-lolIn fact 767 is as fool proof as you can get. But if one doesn't know the difference between LOC and APP and most likely never piloted any aircraft before - this aircraft I am afraid was never designed to be flown by passengers. :-badteethMichael J.