Sign in to follow this  
Guest ilh

PIC/POSKY merges available again

Guest ilh

I have gone through my merge files with a fine-toothed comb and am certain they contain no POSKY content and as such do not represent a modified POSKY aircraft or flight model being redistributed, nor do they represent a POSKY aircraft combined with a commercial product within the package (no POSKY content). These were both objections raised by POSKY's Warren Daniels on 24 April 2002. Any combination with the commercial 767 PIC package takes place on the user's own machine when a POSKY model and texture folder are copied/moved into place by the user. Therefore, I am making these packages available again as I cannot see how they can possibly violate any POSKY policies nor expose POSKY to any kind of litigation. I am sorry if anyone at POSKY might disagree.Note that I have renamed the packages with more meaningful names. I have made some very small tweaks, but if you are already happily using any of these, you do not need to download again.http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/ilh/fs/PIC-POSKY-v3-763.ziphttp://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/ilh/fs/PIC-POSKY-v3-762.ziphttp://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/ilh/fs/PIC-POSKY-v2-763.zipI do not plan to upload these to the file libraries at flightsim.com or avsim.com.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Guest MB327

Amen brother...

Lee,Your persistence to help the flightsim community despite the adversity you endured is highly commendable! Most of us would have said the he** with it and retreated into our circle of close personal friends.A few weeks from now, countless simmers will know nothing of the controversy surrounding these files and will be happily satisfied with the added enjoyment they bring to flying with the 767 PIC panel. I'd like to thank you now on their behalf for persevering in this issue.Well OK, so it sounds a little corny and something a slick schmooser would say (Eddie Haskell ala Leave it to Beaver comes to mind) :), but it is meant in sincerity.Good job Lee :-yellow1Regards,Steve DraAnd to Mike Bevington

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Guest MB327

What I still don't believe is that we actually found that waterfall in the middle of Alaska. I knew that it was there because I came upon it one day while flying VFR to a place called Duffy's Tavern for a cold beer when FS2002 was just 1 week old. What a cool flight last night, four pilots flying east from Mt. McKinley splitting up into two groups following rivers in search of a waterfall. Then, all sitting our Barons down on that little strip above the falls, changing to Caravan Amphibians and just having fun. Anyone ever try to taxi a float plane over a large waterfall and catch enough airspeed to pull up the nose in time to fly level down the river. What a blast! Its about the only thing worth giving PIC up for, well for a little while anyway.And oh ya Eddie Haskell, "Good afternoon Mrs. Cleaver" - ya godda love it!We can pick up on another VFR adventure any time you like, your lead next time sir.

Well done Lee....!Your hard work is greatly appreciated and the merging of these two great products is just fantastic. Its a shame what happened a few weeks ago....to err is human forgive divine...! Take care!RegardsTony

Lee.Can you produce a merge for PSS777 & POSKY 777 so we could have a larger selection of textures.Thanks for all you do.

Mike and the rest of you doing VFR multiplayer up in the Pacific Northwest.....let me know via e-mail when you guys do that again. sounds like fun and a nice break from what I always do with FS which is fly commerical routes for my virtual airline. It would be a nice break.Av8tor772@aol.comThanks.Eric

Eric 

Lee, I can't see what you were supposed to have done wrong. I paid for the PIC767, downloaded a freeware POSKY 767 and then merged them with your free software program. Where's the problem? By the way I use WIN ME and it all works a treat.Thank you!GavinWarszawa, Polska

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest ilh

Sorry to post again, but I just updated all the packages so they no longer contain a merged aircraft.cfg but instead include a program to produce the merged aircraft.cfg from your already-installed 767 PIC Wilco Publishingaircraft.cfg and PICPOSKY.cfg, a file written by myself. This merge program basically automates what you could do by hand with a text editor and nothing more.I also made it very clear in the inner README.txt and the Aircraft.cfg that is produced that you are not allowed to distribute the result of a merge. POSKY does not want you to distribute a package that contains a modification of a POSKY aircraft, nor do they want you to distribute a package that contains POSKY and Wilco material. This package contains neither and as such cannot possibly violate any copyrights.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Guest jase439

What schmoes. Sorry you had to put up with that foolishness. Seems the POSKY folk are just a wee bit high on themselves. What the **** (insert your favorite explicative here) has become of freeware these days? POSKY does extremely commendable work - I doubt you'll find many who disagree with that. But I'd just as soon forgo their "contributions" if it comes laced with this sort of holier-than-thou self-serving piousness and gross display of ego...ad nauseum. C'mon POSKY...get over yourselves already. You should be flattered that someone - in the true spirit of freeware - took it upon themselves to merge your work with one of the most popular panels for flight simulator EVER. Blantant plagerism is one thing (i.e. taking someone's work and calling it your own). Hijacking freeware for use in a commercial product is another. Neither situation comes close in this case. Nothing about Lee's merges was an infringement on your work. You gave yourself your own wedgie.As far as I'm concerned, people have no business in freeware if they aren't in it *for the hobby*. Likewise, if you can't take criticism, don't waste the time in publicizing anything you do. Don't even bother giving something to this community if the ego must come tethered to it. I'm just not down with that false-altruism.In the good ole days, freeware flowed freely between freeware authors - each one making their own contribution...taking care to give credit where credit was due - often improving on each others work. Only until for-profit corporations (PT being the ring-leader of it all) started hijacking freeware for commercial gain has the whole philosophy of freeware been turned up on its arse. Now you have freeware author pitted against freeware author. It's all about rights, and intellectual property, and legalities. How sad and unfortunate this is. Reality check: if a freeware organization feels a need to threaten litigation against fellow hobbiests who contribute and add value to the existing freeware contributions of others (and do so without plagerism) - then they really have no business in freeware at all. Leave the lawyers at home. If you're not in freeware for the hobby, you're in it for the wrong reasons. Either get into it FOR the hobby, go commerical, or just get the hell out of the kitchen.This free-exchange of ideas and contributions among freeware authors was the basis FOR the flight-sim community. That's a hobby in my mind. Obviously, I am in the minority these days. I'm not sure *what* this unruly collection of flight-sim folk represents these days.*shrug*YOUR efforts, Lee, are to be commended as they represent the true spirit of freeware - they most certainly go with my appreciation.JPS. It's been a while since I had a good rant on here. Fortunately, this hobby is sufficiently replete with enough idiots to keep the ideas churning :)

Guest MB327

That WAS a good rant. And I second your opinion sir.

Guest ilh

It has been brought to my attention that if you have a virgin Wilco aircraft.cfg that has never been loaded into FS2002 (i.e., you have not flown a stock Wilco aircraft), then the aircraft.cfg is incomplete and the new merge program may not work properly. Loading the aircraft at least once copies parameters from the .air file to the .cfg file. Merging needs those parameters to produce a complete merge.You'll know if you Wilco aircraft.cfg has been loaded or not. If it has a lot of sections after the ***** line it has been loaded. It should have sections such as &l;contact_points&r; in it.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Guest GiZBUG

What do you do after you run the merge file? Recopy/past the config files back to the directory you took them from?

Guest ilh

You run them from where they are unless you really know what you are doing. There isn't any need to move the files to the Wilco folder or anywhere else, but that is up to you.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Guest GiZBUG

So if I copy over other aircraft folders to merge, it wont overright whats already been done?