Sign in to follow this  

Tracking VOR problem

Hello fellow 767 drivers.Have been for a long with PIC767 but just discovered a kind of problem for recent FS2K2 version. I

Guest KB

You are right, it works for localizers only.

Guest WorkingStiff

Ruslan,If I understand you correctly, you just realized there is no VOR LOC or NAV button on the MCP so you're trying to figure out how to track a VOR radial.Well, the first method is manually of course using HDG SEL.The second method involves use of the FMC. If, for example, you want to track the 240 radial from the XYZ VOR do the following:1. Enter XYZ into the FMC scratchpad and hit 1L LSK to make it active.2. Now enter XYZ240/25 into the scratchpad and press the 2L LSK. This creates a course line that represents the XYZ 240 radial that LNAV will intercept. The 25 is an arbitrary number of your choosing that reflects how long you anticipate tracking that radial heading; it could easily be 10 miles or 50 miles.

Guest ilh

It has been stated in this forum that this is the way the real plane is. If you want to track a radial of a VOR, you can draw it on the EHSI with the FMC FIX page and follow the radial, or you can set up some waypoints and let LNAV fly the radial.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Thanks guys for stating your comments here.This is really news for me that the real life plane works in same manner LOCALIZER only, would check real world documentation and will let you know if any.As for alternate method of tracking VOR, it is not really help in case NAVAID is not published (LAT/LON not published e.g. for military TACAN) radial and frequency only (without DME)Tracking VOR via HDG SEL mode is not precision in wind condition, however have to agree we could do it.Thanks for inputs

Another way to do it would be to just enter XYZ/DME into the top line of the LEGS page and then enter the INTC course (the radial) into RLSK6...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Tabs, but in case there isn't any XYZ just only ###.## and intecept radial for military TACAN or two radial for two TACAN stations to determine fix... AND NO DATA STORED IN FMC NEITHER ON MAP WITH LAT/LON

Well, I don't think any 763 driver is ever going to be ordered to intercept a military TACAN radial by ATC... ;) If you knew the lat/lon of the TACAN (which you should if you're flying with charts) then you could use that to do it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Forget about tracking VOR's with the tuner - use the FMC as people are telling you in this thread...also...un-learn everything you thought you knew about real world auto pilot's, MS2k2 default aircraft A/P are a sad joke and it only confuses people when they get to the PIC.Rob.

Guest Ian_Riddell

>This is really news for me that the real life plane works in >same manner LOCALIZER only, would check real world >documentation and will let you know if any.I sincerely hope that the LOC button is only for LOC, Rus... otherwise I would have to repair thousands of real airplanes (767's, 747-400's, 777's,....). :-eekCheers.Ian "real airplane fixer" R.P.S. VORLOC, however, is used on older aircraft (747-100's, -200's, -300's, etc).

>2. Now enter XYZ240/25 into the scratchpad and press the 2L LSK.WorkingStiff, please confirm "enter XYZ240/25 into the scratchpad and press the 2L LSK"?Or is "XYZ240/25" into 1R LSK?Excuse my ignorance but I still have not tracked a VOR radial using the PIC FMC. I thought that if the "XYZ" VOR was entered into 1L LSK, then "XYZ240/25" would go into 1R LSK.Best regards from Miami,J. Padron (KMIA)---

Guest WorkingStiff

>>2. Now enter XYZ240/25 into the scratchpad and press the 2L LSK.>>>WorkingStiff, please confirm "enter XYZ240/25 into the >scratchpad and press the 2L LSK"? >>Or is "XYZ240/25" into 1R LSK? >>Excuse my ignorance but I still have not tracked a VOR >radial using the PIC FMC. I thought that if the "XYZ" VOR >was entered into 1L LSK, then "XYZ240/25" would go into 1R >LSK. >>Best regards from Miami, >>J. Padron (KMIA) >--- Kerke,I guess my earlier post was unclear so let me now clarify. I was specifically speaking about using the LEGSpage of the FMC. I assumed the original poster was already en route to his destination when he received instructions to track a radial on a VOR.The purpose of the LEGS page is to allow you to make quick modifications to your flight plan so its usually suggested that the FMC be set to the LEGS page unless you're using one of the other functions. If you go to the LEGS page and follow the process I outlined in my earlier post it works as stated. Now if you were making a departure you could use the RTE page but you'd use the 1R and 2R LSKs instead.Another reason for using the LEGS page is that you can also adjust the speed and altitude at which you approach the VOR; you cannot do that on the RTE page.

Thank you all guysI've reffered to real world documentation and now it is clear there are LOC and BCRS tracking only.Happy flying

Guest ielchitz

>Forget about tracking VOR's with the tuner - use the FMC as people are telling you in this threadRob,Unsure if you are telling us that it is not correct to track a VOR using normally accpeted methods or just trying to help someone understand all of the non-traditional ways you can do it with our little magic FMC?I still from time to time at the start or end of my flight, move the EHSI into ROSE VOR/ILS mode to fly my approaches or departures. Hell - I also use my RMI on a regular basis - and sometime I even look out the window (G).Lmao... I love hearing how so many people use different methods to achieve the same results... that's what is so great about the PIC... hmm gives me an "eye-deer" for a good post...Ian E,

Hi Ian,I was suggesting people use the FMC to track a VOR radial...it is a common problem with people making the leap from MS default A/P to the real thing (PIC767 ;-).."how can I track a VOR radial, there is no VOR/NAV loc on the PIC??" is a question that tells me a number of things......also, if done properly, the intercept / radial to follow will be displayed on the EHSI MAP mode, so there is rarely ever a need to go to the VOR/ILS "rose"...767 pilots will tell you they rarely need to leave the MAP page.There is an excellent example of how to use the FMC to intercept radials / fly direct to VOR's, setting VOR/VOR waypoints, etc, etc. in the manual. I did the example once, took about 20 minutes, and it all fell into place, I have never used the Rose again except when I had some doubts as to the ILS indications on the EADI.Rob.