Sign in to follow this  
Guest ielchitz

PIC CHALLENGE - How would you fly this approach ?

Guest MB327

OK Ian, get ready to open LAX_APP. We are 1100 miles DTG to KLAX. My route, PHNL-EBBER-R577-ELKEY.SADDE6 sets me up just fine for your Stadium Visual. My ETA is 2400ZRob,Get ready, set, go... meet you crossing VTU. You can fly down from SFO.The rest of you,, come on and get going. Any route you can set up with the SADDE6 arrival will do. Winds 270 at 14Clouds few at 1700

Guest ielchitz

Mike - don't see you around on Servinfo...I'm headed there out of Oakland in my bus currently (YES, I said "B-U-S" - I need to change it up every now and then).KLAX 172050Z 27014KT 6SM HZ FEW017 18/13 A2995That's dicey for the Stadium visual - its best when you can get a bead on the field while still inbound to Santa Monica.If you are going to be flying it in this wx - best of luck to you - you'll need to use the ND to pick up the centerline before you can spot the field - which sort of defeats the purpose of the exercise...Oh well.. Hopefully the wx will clear up for this evening.Ian E.

Guest MB327

On the ground now. Thanks Ian for the post and providing yet another challenge for the PIC. We done good this evening and had great time. As you suggested, the weather was little marginal for a visual this evening. Having the request for the Stadium Visual in the remarks section of the flightplan, and perhaps because of a private heads up to the center controller from you, the center controller offered to relay the request for a visual to approach as I was about to start my initial decent 80 miles out from VTU. And before one of you eagle eyed guys point out as a mistake, the altimeter really was 29.92 at 2400Z this evening at LAX.After handoff to approach at VTU, approach advised to expect the Stadium Visual to 24R and I was ready. Having been set up for the SADDE6 arrival, It was nice to see that SMO 09 was already set as a fix on the FMC. With only a few quick clicks on the FMC and punching in the numbers on the radio, we were set with the display information for the visual.I took a second at this point to snap a single screen shot (see below)of the panel without any pausing and then jumped right back to work. You can't see the FIX page on this shot but it was set the same as in my screenshot from earlier today. This is really two images because of file size limitations on the uploads.Back to flying:- Reselected 180 as the airspeed on the MCP- Selected HDG SEL crossing SMO which I already had set at 067 (in error, so I had to change to 068)- Selected 3500 as the target altitude and adjusted V/S setting- Select Autobrakes 2- Gave the aircraft a few more seconds to trim out and the OFF with the AP and AT.Now comes the fun part. That Coliseum comes up real fast on you with a 30 knot tailwind. Right turn for short base and then 45 degrees right for intercepting the centerline. Gear down, flaps 25 slowing to 145. I had to use the ND and the EHSI MAP to make the turn to final as I was unable to pick up the field till crossing the outer marker. Visibility had dropped to 7 miles so not the best test for the approach.Very cool! Thanks again Ian

I have done it it is fantastic ... and I hand fly the darn thing...this is one of the earliest approaches I tried in FS98, FS2000 and in SubLogic ATP. I found it in a book called The Art of Instrument Flying, Second Edition, by J.R. Williams, Tab Practical Flying Series!Great book...I advise all pilots and sim-pilots as well to purchase it some things are dated but the practicum for controlling an aircraft in IMC is excellent!!!! Good stuff!Thanks for bring this topic up!!! A really fun approach!!!RegardsTony