Sign in to follow this  

FD problem or just bad technique?

Hi all,I am having the following problem with PIC since using it with FS2K2: On taking off I switch on the FD and autothrottle, set say 5000 in the altitude window and V2 +15 in the speed window. Upon rotation the FD pitches up to 30 degrees, as the aircraft attitude reaches 18-20 degrees the FD remains at 30 or so degrees until the nose almost reaches it. It then begins to fluctuate between about 5 and 25 degrees without settling. If I chase the FD I rapidly achieve pilot induced oscillations. If I don't chase it I am unable to achieve the attitude required as per the settings on the MCP. Has anybody else experienced this, or is this a sad example of my flying ability?BTW I never experienced this in FS2K, the FD was rock steady there. PS Be gentle with me :-)

Guest ilh

I don't see this, especially the very high FD attitude. There is probably some small oscillation of a few degrees if you chase the FD, but if you don't chase it it seems fairly stable.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Thanks for the prompt reply Lee. I am wondering if this is a one off installation or system problem concerning my computer? As I said, the FD was fine in FS2K and I don't have the same problem with either of the other two well-known add-ons currently available. Maybe I'll try a reinstallation.ThanksJohn C

Guest MB327

I never chase the cue on departure but rather manually control pitch to maintain and achieve desired speed. However, the cue is fairly on the ball as I have noticed. Rob Hall just posted a good rule of thumb takeoff procedure on another thread. Have a look. http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID33/872.html#12

One other thing to note it that I remember someone posting a referrence to EE's post that you should fly the plane by the numbers and that the FD was a ballpark guide. Do a search and and see if you can locate the post either on the FD itself or on Eric Ernst.It made it sound like the real 76 drivers never used the FD, go figure.Regards,Jay

Yes, I recall this post and about looking "through" the FD. But I think it applies mainly to pitch where one has to a bit "late" in following the FD. On the other hand lateral cues are extremely accurate. Try manual ILS to minimums without using the FD - a lot tougher.Michael J.

Hey Mike,I agree! The lateral mode is very accurate and great for following the localizer manually.It "trends" very nicely and keeps you from chasing the needle down the approach! :)It is also very good during initial loc capture (if you are hand flying)....I was never good at judging when to bank the big bird when the needle started moving. The single cue inverted "V" is great to follow (laterally) for this phase of flight!Regards,Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Gents, Thanks for the replies.I re-installed PIC and the problem has now corrected itself. No more barfing passengers (or crew for that matter).regardsJC