Sign in to follow this  
Guest MB327

Oceanic Procedures

wanna SIMULATE SELCAL??real simple.... go get your telephone and START pressing buttons withg the mic set up to the earpiece of the phone..... 4 tones 2 secs per tone - then repest 1 time Richard GreenVATUSA4Events and VA Director

Guest MB327

Andrew,Very good dialog transcript at that link. Excellent example of "I say this, ATC says that"Thank you,

Guest Martin

Hej, Karl. I have a question! :-)How do we, as virtual pilots, know what SELCAL code to use? Is there a logic behind what codes are used, and if so how does it work? (Reg number, airline, something?).Also on the subject of SELCAL real world vs. virtual: In the real world HF frequencies are often quite noisy, and with SELCAL the pilots can turn down the volume.BTW, as I was preparing for bed last night, I switched on the tv. (NEVER do that!) On Discovery there was a programme about an Air Canada flight over the pond, and they explained the NAT procedures in detail - the different tracks, HF, SELCAL, position reports, Shannon + Prestwick = Shanwick etc. And they had footage from the different ATC facilities as well as the cockpit of flight 876, which was a 767. I didn't learn anything new but it was interesting anyway. :-lolMartinIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest KB

Hejsan ;-),On VATSIM you can just pick any code, obviously it makes no difference. If and when the SELCAL client is finished the process will be different but I don't know too much about that.In real life I guess each plane has it's unique code, it's supposedly regulated so that two airplanes with the same code will never be in the same airspace at the same time, though I don't really know.Regards,Karl

Guest Martin

Tack for the answer Karl.Are you a member of VATUK and their Oceanic division? It would be nice to have Oceanic control a little more often - that would make me get around to finally doing some "real" flights! Perhaps a schedule or a booking system where pilots can see when Shanwick will be online?And is VATSIM still using the old fixed tracks?Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest ielchitz

AFAIK - VATSIM is still using the fixed NAT tracks - but you are certainly under no circumstances "required" to use them.I personally try and use the real NATS as they are published every day.Ian.

Vatsim uses FIXED nat tracks to this day for one simple reason....people would be criss crossing the skies all over the place - if OCENAIC is controlled you are requested to use a fixed nat or go above 410 ( or disconnect ) but thats only if youd endanger traffic.Richard GreenVATUSA4Events and VA Director

Guest Martin

Why not instead use the fixed tracks when no Oceanic control is online? (Remember that the fixed tracks ensure separation even if both westbound and eastbound tracks are used at the same time - as far as I remember anyway.) And use the real daily tracks when ATC is online.Does that make any sense?Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest KB

Just file any route you like and ATC will approve it unless it results in conflicts. Remember that many airlines file random routes IRL, they are only required to use the track system during the peak hours in the morning and the evening.Regards,Karl

Fixed tracks are used to simply make life uniform for all who fly - if EVERYONE wanted to fly a different track you can imagine the headache it would cause....And the times I have worked Shanwick or Gander - I limit my radar range - just to try an grasp the complexity.... ( well except for the CTP events - no way to do it then )It bad enough when you have 150 planes flying on the tracks - imagine more and some 2x, 4x, 8x Its just a whole nother headache Richard GreenVATUSA4Events and VA Director