Sign in to follow this  

ILS Approach Problem

I am having a problem on approach. I am perfectly aligned on the ILS in my POSKY 767-300ER (Honolulu PHNL as an example Rw8L) at a speed of 160kt at 2500ft and 20nm out when I engage the LOC. I get turned away at a 45 degree angle.When a realign at a closer distance, the same thing happens. I am definitely using the correct ILS frequency.This has happened intermitently at other airports. Sometimes the ILS will accept me and at other times not and I usually have to land manually.I also usually use FSMeteo with the disable surface wind option selected.Does anyone know if this is a problem with PIC?

Guest Ian_Riddell

"Does anyone know if this is a problem with PIC?"Funny you should mention it, Campo... I had a similar experience a week or two ago (see previous forum messages). It happened when I changed the surface wind when flying into KBOS (in FS2002)....although I did fly into PHNL yesterday without a problem (Any chance you were trying out the new free airport scenery like I was? :-) ).Can't tell you what's happening, but try setting your winds to zero in FS2000/2 to see if it makes a difference.Cheers.Ian.

Thanks Ian. What so said makes sense.I tried the same approach in a Cessna and at about 4 points on the way in, there was a slight "kick" which did'nt really effect my approach.This might be caused by some crosswind that PIC can't handle for some reason.Shall investigat further!

I am having a problem on approach. I am perfectly aligned on the ILS in my POSKY 767-300ER (Honolulu PHNL as an example Rw8L) at a speed of 160kt at 2500ft and 20nm out when I engage the LOC. I get turned away at a 45 degree angle.I'm not sure what exactly it is. But I've always had that problem with Hawaii on FS2000, haven't tried yet with FS2002. Can't get the stupid plane to land auto on Honolulu Runways. Always catches the glidescope then about halfway to the runway it turns away. Never had this problem at any other airport.

Happened to me as recently as today on approach to La Guardia. Intercepted the localizer and the glideslope and all of a sudden the plane does a turn and heads in the opposite direction. Mighty confusing. I've had it happen on approach to Lester B Pearson a week ago and once on Gatwick a few weeks back. I have no idea what causes it, didn't notice any changes in wind direction, always had the correct ILS frequency set. I guess it just "happens".

Guest ilh

Are you setting the ILS course (CRS) properly? If it is more then 90* wrong, I've seen PIC turn the wrong way, apparently in an attempt to capture the localizer outbound.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

Yup, I always double check with the map view anyway. It doesn't happen often, maybe once in 30 or so approaches and tends to happen when there's more than one airport in close proximity, particularly around La Guardia. That airport gives me nightmares, PSS Airbus series tends not to capture glideslopes there.