Sign in to follow this  

Flat spin in a 767 with the left engine out....is this

Guest WorkingStiff

Welcome to the club...... :-lol

Guest Ian_Riddell

>Another intresting thing about the 767 >which i learnt from HPSOV is that if you get into a spin, >you use airlerons to get yourself out of it, Why i hear you >ask? Because of the spoilers which come up when using strong >airleron inputs. Not sure I understand the aerodynamics involved here, Andrew.... Any further clues? What does activating the spoilers do in a spin situation? Not knowing much about aerodynamics, I would have guessed using the rudder would have been better (after all, that's what they use in engine out situations). Using ailerons reduces lift.... Do you want that in this situation?Thanks.Cheers.Ian.

Guest fwsov

Oops, only just saw your post then Ian.Ok, you'd be better off asking the 767 driver himself but when the airlerons are activated, the spoilers on the wing dropping come up a little to help roll and yaw the plane. Well according to Boeing, this seems to be quite effective in pulling the plane out of a spin. You would think that using airlerons is a BIG no no but on the 767 it's different, in fact it's very hard to re-train yourself to use ailerons instead of rudder.here's an example:

This thread intrigued me. I placed the a/c at KPDX, departed 10R for the north training area near BTG VOR. There was a 4500' o/c so I initially set the 767 up a 3500' clean 200 kias and failed the left engine. I decreased power until I was +/- 5 kias from Vs and then added power as the a/c slowed. The available power at my weight (aprox 40% fuel) caused the a/c to climb. In this config, I had stick shaker activation prior to any loss of directional control. Hence, Vmc :( AI traffic have no intention of "following" another a/c when directed to do so. Also I could not get the left to airstart without accelerating to 220 kias and using the ram effect to spool it up. Is there a better procedure?After posting, I tried the same procedure in the DF 737 and found Vmc to occur prior to Vs with flaps 15 and flaps 30. Vmc appears to be around 125 kias with the left fan out.